Thirty

Jo

I don't think I've been this happy in a long time.

Together. You and I. Officially.

Hero's words repeat in my head as we walk hand in hand through Central Park, bundled up in layers of clothing to fend off the crisp winter air. We spent most of the morning in bed, our time spent exploring each other's bodies and giving them all they desire and so much more. Something's changed between us, and it's not only because of the words that were spoken.

For the first time in a long time, I'm allowing my heart to be open again. Placing it in Hero's hands and hoping he'll take good care of it. Seeing as how it's still in a fragile state.

Hero's hand finds mine and he intertwines our fingers together as we walk slowly underneath the shade of the trees overhead. It's the middle of the week and I have the day off today. My first one in almost a month except for New Year's Day recently.

When we finally managed to get out of the bedroom, Hero mentioned going for a walk after breakfast. He took me to my favorite bagel shop around the corner where we talked and laughed effortlessly. Only I did notice he checked his phone quite a few times. Whenever a message would come through, he'd read it with furrowed brows and immediately stick his phone back into his pocket. Coming back to me in conversation straight away.

Somethings bothering him. Otherwise, he wouldn't have been up before sunrise this morning. I watched him for a bit, the pale moonlight illuminating his structured face and long eyelashes as he stared up at the ceiling deep in thought. At first I thought his thoughts were just consumed with the idea of our relationship status, but after he asked him to be mine, the wheels inside his mind have yet to stop turning.

"It's not as cold out today," he smiles down at me, the steam of his coffee seen in the air much like mine as we hold onto our paper cups with our free hands.

"No," I look at him, "it's actually pretty nice."

We hug the shoulder of the sidewalk as a few joggers pass us, their breaths like whispy clouds of smoke from their mouths. It is surprisingly nice out today. Almost fifty degrees and sunny. Making it hard to remember it's only early January. A rarity in the city this time of year.

We come up on a park bench, clear of snow and sit down next to each other close, overlooking the vast expanse of nature before us.

"Are you okay?" I ask as I take a sip of my coffee. The strong taste of hazelnut on my tongue. So heavenly it almost makes me close my eyes.

"Yeah," he looks at me puzzled. "Why?"

"You just seem.." I look straight ahead as I speak, "distracted today. Your phone has been blowing up all morning."

Hero sighs and leans back against the bench. His long legs bent in front of him and his hands in his lap around his coffee cup. His lips are drawn together, his jaw almost ticking as he clenches it together, seeming deep in thought as to how to answer me.

"I have to go back to London soon," he says as he takes a sip. I watch his throat bob as he swallows.

"How soon?"

"By the end of the week."

I feel my chest tighten just a little at his words. It's Wednesday. The end of the week is only two more days.

"Oh.." I say as unbothered as I possibly can. Despite my shock and disappointment right now. I knew this time would come. When he would have to leave again. The first time was easy. I had only met him the day before. Yeah, we had an amazing night and shitty morning when I blew up at him in his hotel room. It was easy for him to leave then. For me at least. But now? After the time we've spent together ever since New Year's Eve and the fact that we agreed to take whatever this is between us to the next step? I'm having a hard time with the idea of letting him go.