Twelve

Three months later

Christmas has come and gone. And as much as I hate to admit it, I'm glad. Since my parents couldn't come to the city and I hadn't requested time off six months ago (which is apparently appropriate at Jefferson Hospital) I ended up eating a few slices of cheese pizza from 'Sal's Tavern' for Christmas dinner in the warmth of my apartment before I headed out for an overnight shift. Luckily, not much took place that night since it seemed like everyone in the city was at home with their families.

Now, New Year is tomorrow and I've been talked into shopping with Myra and her sister Isla this afternoon. They're looking for attire for the New Year's Eve celebration at the Westgate Hotel that happens every year. I, I suppose, am just along for moral support. Because as fun as the bash has been in previous years, I'd rather not step in or near that hotel ever again.

"Did you find a sitter for tomorrow night?" Myra asks her sister as we weave in and out of the foot traffic around us. We're close to Times Square, and while Christmas may be over, the streets are busier than ever.

"Yes. Thank God. Remember Mrs. Adams? Cute old lady that lives a few floors up from us? She was more than willing to watch Ava for a few hours and Ava loves her so it's perfect!"

"Jo," Myra turns in my direction as we continue to walk shoulder to shoulder, "are you seriously not coming tomorrow night?" She asks, disappointment evident in her tone.

She's asked me all week. At work. Through text. I've continued to say no. She knows I have the night off and can't believe I'm not taking advantage of it. Since the first year we became friends, we've always spent this night together out on the town.

"No," I sigh. "I just want to stay in.."

"Oh come on, Jo," she cuts me off. "You out of all of us have no excuse. You're single for Christ sake. Isn't New Year like an unofficial single person holiday or something?" She asks in an exaggerated tone.

"What are you talking about?" I scrunch my nose up and glance in her direction. Single person holiday? Pretty sure those don't exist. Seeing as us single folk try to forget that fact about ourselves as much as possible I assume.

Myra takes a deep breath, white fog leaving a trail from her mouth before she begins to explain. "You know, like leaving the past in the previous year. Kissing a stranger at midnight.."

Kissing a stranger at midnight? I'd rather continue on without ever doing so again.

"Honestly, after everything that asshole Marvin put you through earlier this year, I think it's your god given right to celebrate the start of a new year," Isla chimes in, giving me a pointed look.

They may be right. But I'm just not in the mood. One more random hookup and I'll be officially scarred for life.

"I appreciate you guys wanting me to go out and have fun—"

"I'll give you a hundred bucks!" Myra interrupts me abruptly, taking me by surprise.

"What?!" I chuckle.

"If you come out tomorrow night, I'll give you a hundred bucks and I'll take your next double shift," she bargains as we come to a stop at a crosswalk.