Thirteen

Hero

If looks could kill, I'd be dead. Deceased in the garden of the Westgate Hotel. I've received looks much the same on a handful of occasions, warranted by my stupid actions with girlfriends past. But none of them make the hair on the back of my neck stand up like the way it is right now. Josephine looks less than pleased to see me. Actually, she looks downright pissed. And the kicker? I haven't done anything wrong.

I don't miss the cheeriness in Myra's voice when she asks Josephine if she remembers me. I hope to god she remembers me, because I know for a fact I haven't stopped thinking about her. As far as her friend's concerned, her and Dan left us be the night of their wedding and we were getting along great. Fast forward fifteen minutes and I'm naked in bed with the hot little blonde and her tongue is down my throat. I didn't go into detail when I spoke with Dan about getting Josephine's number a few months ago. I simply just told him that I lost it and realized as much once I got home. And as far as my being here right now? I may have told him I was on business. Which technically isn't a lie; I'm working on winning over Jo.

I watch as Jo takes a deep breath, trying to clear her throat before she goes to speak. "I remember," is all she says, accompanied by a half smile that I'm sure pained her to the core. Despite the hundreds of people occupying the space around us, I don't notice a single one of them except for her. She looks fantastic. Downright delicious in her little black dress that shows off her smooth pale legs and hangs on the edges of her shoulders. I thought red was her color when she dressed for the wedding. Turns out, I'm not sure she wouldn't look good in every single one.

"Nice to see you again, Josephine." I say as I give her a smile, never taking my eyes off hers. Unlike the night we met, she doesn't look nervous or unable to speak. She looks like there are a million things running through her mind at this very moment and like she wants to yell out every single one.

"Myra.." she says her friend's name while holding our eye contact. "I was just going to use the restroom. Could you please come with?" Her tone is sweet, like she's unbothered by this little wrench thrown into her night, but anyone who knows a woman, knows there's a storm brewing beneath the surface. I hope to God that Myra is ready for it when it's just the two of them alone.

Oh, to be a fly on the wall.
•••••
Jo

As soon as I saw Hero, I knew why it had been so important to Myra that I come here tonight. Of course. She knew he would be here and wanted to make sure I was too. I can't help but wonder what the hell Hero told her and Dan to get them to agree to this, but I sure as hell am determined to find out.

"Ouch! What the hell?!" Myra squeals as I grab her wrist and drag her into the bathroom. As far as I can tell, there's no one else in here at the moment. If there is; they're about to get an earful too.

"You knew he'd be here?!" I whisper yell once we're face to face.

"Huh? Who?"

"Hero.." I say through clenched teeth and watch her eyes narrow in confusion.

"I had no idea, Jo. Unless Dan talked to him, I had to clue he was even in the city."

"Uh-huh," I say as I cross my arms.

"Yes-huh," Myra huffs as she mimics the same pose. We continue to stare at each other, engaging in some kind of silent warfare and I know for a fact I won't be the one to cave.