Seventy six

Hero

"Gotten a little slow there, HT. No games of football in New York City?" Arlow grins as he dribbles the ball in front of me and I try to stay on him.

"I think you've forgotten you wankers are still down by one," I say as I move him out of the way and take the ball into my possession. I look to Will to pass.

As soon as he gets open enough away from Dez, I rocket him the ball and he moves it towards the makeshift goal line we created when we were just kids. A row of trees that have doubled in size since we first started playing here.

I know what you're thinking, playing two on two football doesn't make a lot of sense. Where's the goalie and all that? But this has been my crew before we even hit puberty. We've always done it this way.

"Fuck yes!" I shout as Will zooms in another makeshift goal and laugh as he starts dancing like an absolute fool because of it. Dez throws his hands up and calls a timeout to take a drink.

For late winter, the weather outside is gorgeous. A rarity for this time of year. I've stripped down to only my gym shorts and a thin cotton tee. My hair drenched with sweat from all the running. But it feels damn good to be part of the game.

"And that's how the fuck it's done!" Will grabs me by the back of the neck and we start walking towards the edge of the grass. Both breathing heavily and I can tell I'm not the only one who may be a little out of shape.

"Still the A team, my man. Just a little more winded. My legs are gonna kill tomorrow." I say and we both laugh.

I will say, as happy as I am in life right now, and where I've found myself the last few months, I've missed this just a bit. It feels nostalgic in a way. But as I look out across the field and see Josephine smiling at me from afar, I know I've been exactly where I was always meant to be.

"You're drooling, mate," Will nudges me and I stumble a few steps to my right.

"Fuck off."

"You're pretty serious about this one, yeah?"

I feel my chest tighten as we continue walking. "She's the one." I say.

"Welcome to the club," Will places a hand on my shoulder and I watch him out of the corner of my eye. Out of almost all of my friends, Will has been in the longest relationship. His girlfriend Maci and him have been together since we were in junior high. Out of everyone, he would know exactly what I'm feeling.

"You guys still good?" I ask as we near closer to where Josephine sits. Her hair pulled into a high pony to keep the wind from blowing it around. The sun giving her skin a warm glow to where she almost looks like an actual angel.

"Better than ever. Never a dull moment."

"Good game," Jo smiles as we come to a stop in front of her. I reach for her hand to help her stand up.

"Wiped the field with those fuckers," Will grins and opens a bottle of water. I follow suit.

"Thanks, baby." I smile down at her and pull her into me. Her hand instinctually placed on my stomach.

I'm a sweaty god damn mess right now. My shirt nearly drenched through. But I can tell from the hunger in Jo's eyes as she traces the beads of sweat rolling down my neck with her eyes that she likes it. And damn if it doesn't turn me on.

"We done? Or do we get a chance for rebuttal?" Arlow calls out as him and Dez saunter over towards us. Both looking equally as winded.

"Done!" I call out. Running a hand through my hair and making it stick up. "Any more running and I'll need to be carried off here in a stretcher." I say and we all laugh.

"Too much time at the pub recently," Dez laughs.

"No shit."

"Speaking of.." Will interjects. "We had plans to go out tonight. You two want in?" He looks between Jo and I. I feel her look up at me.

We really don't have anything planned. With my family all working and nothing but time, I don't see why we wouldn't come along. Despite my ever growing need to have Jo all to myself and find myself buried between her legs all night, a few drinks with my friends in addition to showing Jo the night life here sounds like a good idea to me.

"Sure," I say and smile down at my girl who's nestled herself into my side.

"Meet at my place around nine?" Will asks, looking around the group. Both Arlow and Dez nod in agreement too.

"The gang's back together, boys!" Will grins and I can tell that look from a mile away. "Tonight's going to be fun."