Thirty six

I've been pacing the confines of my apartment for nearly thirty minutes now. Back and forth. Over and over. My bare feet cold against the faux wood floor in the main area.

I got myself ready earlier than I needed to be. Showered, shaved every square inch of my body and moisturized to high heaven before dressing in skin tight black leggings that hit me right at the ankle and an off the shoulder slouchy sweater to match.

Hero's plane was to land at 6:45pm. It's now 7:30 and I'm expecting a knock at the door any minute now.

Just breathe.

I woke up this morning with a pounding head; not only from over doing it at the bar last night with the girls, but because I feel like I might explode internally. There was a text waiting for me when I first checked my phone. A selfie of Hero sitting next to what looked like a window somewhere in the London airport, the sun just peaking above the horizon. Planes on the tarmac behind him. He was dressed casually, in a hoodie and backwards hat, his dimple on full display as he smiled into the camera with the caption: next stop, New York 😘

That was nearly twelve hours ago and time is running out. I feel like I've been waiting forever for him to be back. I'm excited, I'm nervous and everything in between. I missed him more than I ever thought possible.

In order to calm my nerves, I decide to pour myself a glass of wine. That always seems to do the trick. So, I take out a tumbler from the cabinet next to the sink and pop open a fresh bottle of my favorite inexpensive red wine, making sure to fill it more than halfway. My hands are trembling as I bring it to my lips and I close my eyes once the liquid hits my mouth and swallow it down. My shoulders relaxing with the motion.

I turn around and lean against the counter, clutching the glass in both hands and bring it to my lips again, startled by a knock at the door. Three knocks. Back to back. Not too fast and not too hard. My heart leaps at who they're from.

I quickly place my glass on the kitchen island and pad towards my front door, straightening my hair out over one of my shoulders along the way. I stop in front of the heavy wooden barrier and take in a deep breath and disperse it out my nose, reaching up to unhook the chain from the lock and then the deadbolt.

I take another deep breath as I clutch onto the door handle and then twist and pull, opening the door to Hero standing in the hallway; suitcase beside him and backpack hanging off one of his shoulders.

As soon as the door is open, I watch as a wide grin spreads across his handsome face, causing my cheeks to redden as I pull my bottom lip between my teeth. The air between us is nothing short of pure electricity bouncing between our bodies. The current causing my stomach and mind to swirl inside.

"Hi," I breath out.

"Hi," he says quietly, his eyes roaming from my face down the length of my body and then back up again. His smile still in tact.

It happens so fast, I don't have time to think. Hero takes two long strides towards me, disposing of the bag on his shoulder in the process, and lifts me into his arms by the back of my legs and they circle around his waist, my arms clutching around his neck for dear life.

"You're even more beautiful than when I left," he says hoarsely, our lips so close but not actually touching. I can feel the shakiness of his breath against mine.

One look in his eyes and it's all I need to respond. I clutch onto his face on either side, my hands so small compared to any part of his body, and bring our lips together harshly, not daring to wait any longer. Almost immediately, our tongues intertwine, swiping against the inside of each other's mouths as we both steal the air from one another. Our chests are flush, his hands gripping onto my ass through the thin material covering my lower body, palming me softly but with purpose.