Seventy one

I found the bathroom.. after trying two other doors.

Now huddled next to the pristine toilet next to me, I pull up Myra's number. I don't even know what time it is. I pull back my phone to look. 9:18pm. So it's definitely early morning there.

The phone rings. And rings. And rings. I need to remind myself to breathe.

What started as a fun adventure has quickly turned into a nightmare on my account. I like my job. I do. Do I wish I could work somewhere that I didn't have to see my ex boyfriend? As of lately.. YES.

I try Myra's number two more times. Each time leads me to voicemail. Feeling defeated, I decide to give up.

I can't go back out there. Into the dining room with all of hero's family thinking I'm crazy. Because.. right? They most likely do.

Instead, I straighten my hair and pretend to flush the toilet. Just Incase anyone might have walked by.

I crack the door open and don't hear a thing but the sound of someone doing dishes down the hall. It's muffled. But it's there. I decide to go the other way.

I take the time to admire the artwork on the walls when no one else is around. Like a museum; free of charge. Walking slowly. Step by step. My heels barely making a sound.

By the time I meet the foyer, I'm somewhat calm. Just as I'm about to turn back to the dining room and all that awaits, I see a dim light at the end of a hall.

It's the opposite of where I'm standing. I know for a fact, drunk or not, I've never been down here before.

Feeling brave, I look over my shoulder and don't see anyone coming. I don't hear them at all. So, I start down the long dark hallway, thankfully not making much noise with my steps. They might have saved the day.

As soon as I get close enough, I get closer to the wall. Peering around the corner into the dimly lit room.

What I'm met with almost takes my breath away.

A library. Floor to ceiling. Books, hard copies, lining a handful of shelves.

Glancing down the hallway once again, I decide to go in. Breathing in the smell of leather and wood and old paper that can't seem to find a way out.

Almost immediately, I find the small brown sectional in the corner of the room. Complete with throw pillows of every color and a white throw blanket.

I sit down. Relishing in what feels like a dream. I haven't read in forever. But this is bringing the memory back.

"Beautiful, right?" I hear a voice come from the doorway. I turn around and see Piper in the threshold. Bare feet in dinner attire. Two wine glasses in her hand.

"I'm so sorry," I shoot up and start walking across the room.

Pipers hand stops me. "Relax," she smiles and hands me a glass. I slowly take it. "When my father bought this property, it was a two bedroom, two bathroom house. With horses grazing in the back," she says as she walks by me and stops in front of the closest bookshelf. Running her fingers down the spines. I stay silent. Willing her to go on.

After a few seconds, she does. "The one thing my mother asked for when they moved in here was a study. Somewhere she could spend time researching and planning her work. Instead," she turns back to me while sitting down on the couch. "He gave her a sanctuary," she smiles. I can't help but do the same.

"This room is off limits from work and all other bullshit that might be happening in the world. I was taught that at a very young age," she grins. "Come," she holds her hand out and I walk towards her and we embrace as I sit down.

Piper looks at me for what seems like forever. In reality, it's probably only a second. In that moment, I feel like she gets me. Like she and I can connect in some kind of way.

"I know my family can be a bit scary.."

"No!" I rush to correct her. "They're not—"

"You're the first person Hero has ever brought home."

I blink at her a couple times. Feeling like I can't see straight.

"Hero has never brought a girl home. I know he's dated in the past. Pictures here and there with you know.." she waves her hand around. Suddenly, she looks right at me and grabs my hand. A smile on her face "but he's never brought anyone home to meet the parents, especially from another country," Piper and I laugh quietly. "That's how I know this is for real." She pulls me in for a hug.

I'm suddenly feeling a million times better. I never got the feeling that Hero's family didn't approve. But.. you know how that shit goes.

Having his sister reassure me that this is something special makes me relax a little more.

Just as soon as we clink our wine glasses together to finish off our drinks, a shadow comes over the library door, causing us to look up. Hero stands there. Hands in his jean pockets. His hair slightly a mess. I then realize I've disappeared for a while.

"You okay, babe?" He asks and Piper grins at me over her glass.

"I'm fine," I chuckle and throw back the rest of my wine. My being feels lighter since talking with Hero's sister. And now much more turned on since he came in the room.

"Come on," He holds his hand out for me. A smirk on his face. "Let's take a tour then."