Fifty four

The sound of bacon popping and the coffee maker wake me up. Apparently it's morning.

I go to sit up from where I lie on the couch and my head still hurts. A lot.

"Good morning," Hero grins from his position at the stove. Stirring something as his arms contract and make my eyes almost bulge out.

"Morning," I wipe my eyes free of sleep and get off the couch to walk to him. He's shirtless and that's quickly become my favorite thing. "What are you doing?" I look up at him as I wrap my arms around his bare waist. His warm skin like a blanket I want to curl up in for just a while longer.

"Making you breakfast," he smiles down at me. Kisses me on the top of the head and keeps stirring.

I glance at the clock and it's 9:15. Panic sets in. My shift started at 8:00 a.m

"Shit!"

"What?"

"Shit, shit, shit.." I let go of him and start to walk out of the room. Hero grabs my wrist.

"Hey.." his eyes are soft, but his grip on me is hard. "What's wrong?"

"I'm late for work!" I try to wiggle out of his grip. "I need to go!"

"Jo.."

I ignore his voice.

"Josephine."

His voice follows me past the bathroom down the hall.

"Stop!" Hero says as he follows me into our bedroom. Blocking the doorway as I search for some clothes.

"You're not going to work today," He sternly says from where he stands. All I can do is roll my eyes.

"Sure."

"Baby.."

"Thank you so much for making breakfast but I'm late," I say as I sift through a clean pile of clothes.

"Josephine. Stop. Listen to me," Hero takes the pair of pants out of my hands and holds me in place by the shoulders. "Myra is taking your shift. It's fine."

His words cause me to stop and look up at him. "No," I shake my head. "Today's her day off."

"Hence why she was available," Hero laughs and tosses the clothes back onto the bed.

"But.."

"It's covered," Hero grins as he wraps me in a hug. "You deserve the day off, baby. She was more than happy to help. Okay?"

"But.."

I feel as Hero inhales a deep breath against my cheek and lets it out slowly. "You had an exhausting day yesterday and didn't get much sleep last night. I figured your head wouldn't feel the greatest today either. The last thing you need is to be on your feet all day," he says as he places a kiss on the top of my head and pulls back to look me in the eyes. "I called Myra late last night and she said she didn't mind going in today. So right now, you're going to follow me out to the kitchen, sit, and let me serve you the breakfast I've been up since seven thirty making. Okay?" He grins and I feel my pulse start to slow down.

He's right. The last thing I want or need is to be pulling a shift right now. And he went to all this trouble making sure I didn't have to..

As for Myra. I'll be sure to be at her mercy for the remainder of the year. She really didn't have to do this for me.

"Okay," I say as I push up on my tiptoes and give him a kiss. His arms embracing me even more with the action. I swear I'm the luckiest girl alive.

He groans when I move my tongue deeper into his mouth, wanting more than anything to thank him more than words can say. They just don't seem to be enough. Just as our kiss is quickly turning deeper, he pulls himself away and licks his lips while looking down at me. I know my hair is a mess and I'm in the clothes I slept in last night. But he makes me feel like the most beautiful girl he's ever seen.

"Later," he slaps my ass playfully and turns to head out of the room. Back to where he's been cooking. I can't quite seem to hide my smile.

••••••

"You're cooking abilities are putting me to shame," I say as I come back into the kitchen. Admiring the breakfast spread Hero's prepared for us. Bacon, toast, over easy eggs and a variety of fruits. I can't help myself from popping a grape into my mouth.

"If you knew me before, you'd be saying something different," he laughs as he pours two mugs of coffee and slides one to me.

I graciously accept the caffeine, taking a small sip and humming in appreciation at the fact that it's exactly how I like.

"What? You've never cooked for your girlfriends before?" I ask, my eyebrow raised. Suddenly feeling a flash of involuntary jealousy at the question I just asked.

"No," he shakes his head and bites into a piece of bacon. Not really looking at me eye to eye.

"Really?"

"Mhmm," he shrugs one shoulder and takes a sip of coffee. My eyes zeroing in on his body language.

"What?" He asks with a sigh. Obviously not comfortable with talking about exes of his past. Trust me: I relate.

"It's.." I begin to say but stop myself. Wanting to choose my words carefully. He watches me with an expectant stare. "It's just that you're the most amazing boyfriend I've ever had. It's just crazy to me that no one else ever saw that."

I notice as his shoulders relax and a grin appears on the corner of his lips. He takes another sip before speaking. "Well, I've never been in love before." It's takes a moment for his words to register in my mind. I feel a rush of butterflies invade my body.

"Never?"

"Never," He says quietly, holding my eyes with his. I've never doubted when he's told me his feelings for me. But to think I'm the only one who's ever received them? I can't seem to wrap my mind around it.

"How is it?" He nods to my plate that he made for me. Of which I've barely even touched.

"Amazing," I smile and eat another grape. And we change the conversation completely.