Ninety nine

Hero

Two weeks later..

"Good morning, loves," mum says from across the dining room table. Looking ready to conquer the day.

"Morning mum," I give her a hug as I come closer. My hand still holding Jo's behind me.

We've been back in London for two weeks now. Flew back the morning after we reunited. She insisted I didn't miss my sister's fashion show, and I let her. Because, honestly, I wanted to come.

Things between Josephine and I have been... amazing. Better than they've ever been. It's like a whole new feeling now that she's completely let go.

Not like I didn't love this before. That absolutely isn't the case. It's just that... now... that she's free I guess? Free of her own self doubt? Free of her job? Free of Marvin? Free of ever wondering if I'll treat her like he did? I love it. Because the way she smiled after I suggested we come here the next morning after our night together.. it hasn't left her face. And that makes me happy. Because she is.

"So," my mother interrupts my thoughts, "when will you be heading out?"

"Ummm.." Jo swallows the bite of danish she's just taken. Looking at me with big eyes, scared of what my mother may be insinuating.

"Oh! Was I not?..."

"Mum, it's fine," I give her a smile and run my hand along Jo's arm. But it doesn't stop her from looking distraught. 

The truth is.. our stay in London had a time limit. And that time is now up. We came to see what we wanted to, and now, it's time to leave. What's next? Well.. I haven't exactly run it by Jo. She's the last person to find out. But, I think that's alright.

"Let's go for a walk, yeah?" I ask her as I take the cup of coffee from her hand and set it down on the counter. Glancing at my mum who's got her hands rung together.

"O-okay," Jo says as she looks back at my mum as I guide her out of the kitchen. We walk in silence to the side of the house. Where the study is. With it being her second time here, Jo's more acquainted with the estate. She easily knows her way around. That's why she practically leads me to the yard and doesn't stop to admire anything in between.

Once outside, the chill hits me. Just as hard as it does back in New York. It's only March here, but it's cool year round it seems. "The pool house?" I ask her as I look around the yard and then back at her before me. Knowing she needs somewhere to talk.

"Sure," Jo nods as she follows my lead into the covered pool. The humidity once again hitting me like a freight train. It's morning time, the sun shining through the floor to ceiling windows. The smell of chlorine heavy in the air. As much as I try, I can't forget the last time we were in here. It all is like a dream. Looking at Jo now, in her leggings and sweater, I can still picture her skin underneath.

"Talk."

I blink back into reality when the word leaves her mouth. She's sitting in one of the sun bathing chairs on the deck. Her legs crossed and her arms holding her up. "Where are we going?"

"It wouldn't be a surprise if I told you, now would it?"

She gives me a look. "I like to be prepared."

"You mean you like to have sunscreen if we're going to the beach," I smile at her and laugh when she rolls her eyes.

"We could have saved time and money if you would have just told me where we were going, you know," she looks up at me. "That was a one time thing."

"I just think you don't like surprises.."

"I told you I don't like surprises," she giggles as I slide behind her on the chair, pulling her back with me as I lie down with it halfway up.

"What if the place I planned was somewhere you really wanted to go?" I ask her as I stroke her arms down to her hands, holding her close to me.

"How would you know where I really want to go?" She asks as she positions herself more comfortably. So she's on her side in between my legs.

"Well," I smirk. "This place has a beach," I kiss the top of her head. "Lots of them actually."

"Mmm," she snuggles in closer on my chest. "An island."

"Perhaps," I look down at her and kiss her head again.

"And what makes this place special?" She asks and I smile to myself.

"It's secluded."

"Okay...."

"It's... far away."

"I think that's what secluded means," she laughs and I do too.

"Okay so I'm bad at explaining things," I stroke her back with my fingertips and watch as she further melts into me.

"Not all things.."

"You want to know where we're going?" I ask her, pulling back to see her beneath me.

"Yes!"

"You really, really want to know?"

"Hero!" She sits up and looks at me.

The light from the windows is illuminating her as if she's an angel sent from Heaven above. Like my own personal one.

I can't help myself, I take her face between my hands and pull her towards me. Needing to feel her lips on my mine.

Nothing can stop the sigh of relief that comes from me when they connect. As if I'd die without them ever again.

Pulling away from the kiss, I still keep her face in my hands. Her head against mine. My nose touching hers. "In my pocket.. is a ticket for our next destination."

"Is that an invite into your pants?"

"Mmm," I smile against her lips and kiss them again. "I fucking hope so."

With shaky hands, Jo's fingers make their way down to my lap and into my pocket. Our breaths giving life to each other.

I don't know how she'll feel about this. But I'm about to find out.

Once in hand, she unfolds the paper I once only held and I watch as her eyes glance over the text. Her breath catches halfway through and I know she knows where we're headed.

"We need to," I grab her hand and hold it as she re-reads the slip a few more times. Her eyes darting from the page to me, and then back again.

"Uhh.."

"We need to.." I say. And she looks up at me. "It's the time to make this right."

Jo swallows, and shakes her head. A smile forming on her face. And it's then that I know I've got her.

"So that's it, huh?" She puts the ticket back in my lap. "We're going to Perth?"