Ninety two

Hero

I've been walking aimlessly around the city near our apartment for close to an hour now. Very much chilled to the bone. At first, I stopped at the little coffee cafe that Jo and I frequent often just to have somewhere to be. Alone with my thoughts on what the hell is being said between her and her parents. But that was forever ago and I still haven't heard from her. I had told her to text or call when she wanted me back.

Pulling my phone from my pocket, I see there are no messages or missed calls. And the sun is starting to set. I let out a breath that forms a large white cloud in front of my face and tap my phone to my thigh a few times before glancing ahead of me. I'm still in the neighborhood. Our apartment is only a block away. Without overthinking, I slip my hands back into the pockets of my jacket and begin walking fast towards home.

In the time we've been apart, I've been alone with my thoughts, which in this case hasn't been good. I fucked up. Majorly. I didn't even think when I booked us that flight back to London. I was selfish and I didn't consider all the shit that one little getaway would have caused. Working remotely, I can just pick and up and go. Jo.. well.. she can't. And I realize that now. But I think back to the days leading up to our departure and I remember the way she was so stressed out and needed a break. With all the shit going on with Marvin at every turn and her working herself to death, I just wanted to let her relax. And yeah, looking back, I may have been a bit jealous. Knowing her ex boyfriend was around her all day, every day, while I sat at home by myself. I never thought it'd come to this.

After what feels like forever, I push the entrance doors open to our building, immediately feeling the warm air embrace me now that I'm not outside in the cold. I take the stairs two at a time, anxious to get to our floor. My feet carry me down the narrow hallway, until I'm standing in front of unit 315. And I stop once I make it to the door. I don't hear voices. The only thing I hear is the neighbor across the hall who apparently loves to watch sitcoms on the highest volume they can. And after a deep breath, I reach for the door knob and turn.

The smell I've grown to know and love hits me like a ton of bricks. Subtle vanilla. Just like Jo. I quietly close the door behind me as I step inside, my eyes scanning the perimeter which is dimly lit from the lamp in the corner. It's silent. Almost eerily so. And I can't help but feel something sinking in my stomach as I take another step inside.

"Jo?" I call out. My voice hesitant. Worried. I'm met with more silence.

"Jo? Are you here?" I say as my feet carry me towards the hallway, in the direction of our room.

As I pass, I peak inside the bathroom, noticing the way the air is humid. Like someone just took a shower. The smell of Jo's shampoo is strong, leading me to believe that's exactly what she did. Continuing on, I approach our bedroom and notice the door is nearly shut. With a gentle push, I ease it open and see her sitting on the bed. Her back against the headboard, her knees tucked up to her chin and her eyes facing towards the window that views the last remnants on sunlight dipping below the horizon.

"Jo?" I say gently as I take a step inside. My heart hammering in my chest but somewhat slowing down now that I see she's okay.

I hear her sniffle and she wipes her nose on her sleeve but won't look at me. I take quick strides to round the bed to meet her. "Baby, what's wrong? Are you okay?"

Her shoulders shake as quiet sobs rack her body, and on instinct, I pull her to my chest. Cradling her head with one of my hands. "It's okay.." I whisper against her hair. Panicking because I don't know what the hell is going on.

"No.." she sobs, her voice raspy like she's been crying for days. "No. It's not okay."

I pull back from her so I can look at her head on. Framing her face with my hands. I search her tear filled eyes for some sort of clue. "What happened? What's not okay?"