Ninety

Hero

I can't lie; my heartbeat is racing. Despite the weather outside, my palms are sweating and my throat has gone dry. I'm nervous for Jo and I'm also nervous for myself. I got her into this shit.. I pray I can dig her out.

We're both silent as we climb the stairs up to our floor of the dreary apartment building. The wind howling outside through the cold brick walls a low hum. I have no idea what we're walking into when we step foot into our apartment. But something tells me this is about to be a very long night.

Hard as I try, I can't come up with a single explanation as to why we're in this situation that her parents would possibly seem okay with. Hell, they didn't even know we were dating in the first place. The thought makes my stomach lurch at how irresponsible it was to take her away. They've probably been worried sick.

As we approach our doorway, I stand behind Jo. Watching as she takes a deep breath in, exhaling slowly before she begins to put the key in the lock. It seems as if time slows down when I hear it click into place, and a faint smile pulls at my lips as Jo looks at me over her shoulder, almost like to make sure I'm still here.

Next thing I know, she's opening the door and I hear a gasp coming from inside our apartment. With a deep breath of my own I follow her inside.

"Oh my god!" A woman I can bet money on being her mother rushes forward from her spot on our small little couch. Her blonde hair whipping behind her as she rushes at Jo and takes her in her arms in the biggest embrace. "Josephine!" She whispers as she hurries her face into Jo's neck. Clinging to her like she'll disappear.

"Hi, mom," I hear Jo say quietly as my eyes dart from them to her father striding towards them with a look of both worry and relief etched on his wrinkled face. He's taller than the girls, but no where near as tall as me. And all I can do is watch silently in the doorway as they reunite.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt?" Her mother asks, pulling back and taking her head between her hands.

"No.." Josephine shakes her head and tries to get some space.

"We were so worried. When they called us, saying you were gone, I.. I didn't know if.."

"When who called you, mom?" Josephine asks. Her brows pinched in confusion.

"The authorities, sweetheart. They said the hospital hadn't heard from you.."

"The police?!" Jo pulls herself away from her mother and I can see her hands shaking from here. She stands frozen, but turns to look back at me. At the same time our eyes meet, I can see her parents glance my way as well, most likely just now noticing my presence. For a moment, we all just stare at each other and I can't find anything to say.

"I can take those," Jo's dad breaks the silence and takes a step towards me. Holding out his hand for the bags I'm still holding. "Thank you for bringing them up. I don't have anything but a twenty. Is that okay?"

"Uh.." is all I think I say. Dumbfounded as to what on earth is possibly going on.

"Have a nice night," he speaks again as he takes the straps out of my hands and turns to face his family again. I look back at Jo and see her sapphire eyes widen before opening her mouth to speak.

"Dad.."

"Honey, we were so worried. It's not like you to just up and disappear. Did you just forget you had work? Why would you run off like that?" He asks as he puts our bags down next to the couch and move to join the girls.

"Dad.."

"Myra assured us everything was fine, but so much of what she was saying just didn't add up. I mean, sweetheart, a boyfriend? You've never mentioned anyone to us.."

"Dad.."

"Son, did I give you enough?" He asks as he turns his attention back to me. And I feel everyone's eyes again.

"Sir," I take a step inside the room and immediately stop myself when I see him bristle with my movement. "Sir, I think there's been a misunderstanding," I say as I place my hands into my pockets and rest back on my heels. Shit. My heart feels like it's going to beat out of my chest. I think I might pass out.

"Listen," he starts and his tone is harsh and unwavering. "I don't know what it is you need, but I'd appreciate it if you'd please leave and let us have this time alone."

His words hit me like a ton of bricks and I hear Jo gasp from behind her hand. Her eyes bouncing back to her father.

"Dad!" She exclaims and moves to stand beside me. Gripping onto my arm with her small, clammy hands.

"What—" her mom begins to ask but before she can finish, Jo speaks again.

"Mom. Dad. This is Hero. My boyfriend. And he won't be going anywhere. He lives here with me."