Eight five

Shit. Shit shit shit.

Out of all the things Myra sent me, knowing my parents are in the city, apparently waiting for me was totally unexpected. I've been so preoccupied with our time here, away from reality and everything and everyone, that I've been slacking on checking in with Myra the last few days.

As a good friend.  Correction: the best friend ever, she's been covering for me at work. What she's told everyone I'm not one hundred percent sure, but up until now it hasn't been a big deal.

Knowing her, she probably told our coworkers that I had to leave town for an emergency. And since I've really never missed a day of work, I'm sure they all bought it. But Marvin of course had to intervene. It's no secret that he's been kicking himself lately for the things he put me through. His dislike for Hero and I's relationship beginning to be very well known.

But I can't believe he called the police. That's honestly a new low, even for him. And now my parents are involved. This is an absolute nightmare.

We were set to fly back to New York the day after tomorrow. That's what Hero mentioned anyway. But now, I have a feeling our trip is about to come to a premature end. God, I know Hero's going to be mad at the fact this has all been blown out of proportion thanks to Marvin and his devious ways. But I need to tell him. The sick feeling beginning to settle in my stomach won't go away until I do.

After leaving Hero and his mom in the entry way to read through Myra's texts, I ended up down the hall near the study. I close my eyes and take a deep breath and on shaky legs begin to make my way back to them. The closer I get, the more I notice the silence. And when I get to where we just came in, I notice that they're no longer standing there.

Looking around, I try to figure out what to do first. His mom said something about lunch, so they might be in the kitchen. However, knowing Hero, he'd want to get out of his clothes from the night before. Just as I'm about to begin walking up the staircase, I hear heels clicking on the marble, sounding louder with each step. Within moments, Hero's mom appears from another hallway.

"There you are," she smiles warmly at me and I turn to face her. One foot on the first stair. "Everything alright, dear?" She asks, her brows pulling together in question.

"Oh," I breath out and give her a weak smile. "Yeah." I say tucking a piece of loose hair behind my ear. "Just stuff with work."

She nods in understanding, giving me a smile as well. Her eyes kind as she searches my face once again. "Hero just went upstairs to change. I told him I'd let you know when you were back."

"Thank you," I say softly and place my hand on the banister.

"You two take your time. I'll ask Faye to keep lunch warm until you're ready," she says and pats my hand as she begin to walk away. Pulling my lower lip between my teeth, I clutch the wooden banister tighter and begin to climb the stairs. My heels making it known. About halfway up, I stop and slip them off, carrying them up the rest of the way.

When I reach the top landing, I turn in the direction of our bedroom, my bare feet cold against the floor. I try to go over in my head how I want to go about telling Hero the unforeseen news I've just found out. My hand clutching my heels and the other clutching my phone.

As I round the corner into the bedroom, I hear the shower turn off from the bathroom just inside. The fresh scent of body wash filling the room through the open door just a few feet away. Quietly, I close the bedroom door so we can have a little privacy, nearly tip toeing over to the bed. Once there, I take a seat on the end and drop my shoes to the ground with a thud.

I can't help myself from worrying my lip as I wait for Hero to come. My stomach feeling like it's in my throat the longer I sit here. I contemplate texting my parents. Or calling them. Just to see what they know. But I think better of it and continue to wait.

"Hey, there you are," Hero smiles as he enters the room. A white towel hanging low around his waist. His hair slicked back, except for one line strand that falls over his forehead. If it were any other time, I would admire how mouthwatering he looks. His soft, golden skin on display as he walks across the room. Even now, I can't help but stare at him as he goes towards his bag, unzipping it and beginning to dig through.

"Hey," he says as he looks at me over his shoulder before turning to face me once again. With furrowed brows and worry etched across his face, he stops what he's doing and begins to pad towards me. "Baby, what's wrong?" His voice is cautious as he approaches, running a hand back through his hair.

"Umm," I clear my throat and shift where I'm sitting. Bringing my hands into my lap. "We need to talk. Or.. I need to tell you something."

Hero's mouth parts and I swear I can hear him breathing. He's no doubt thinking the worst. "Okay," he says as he licks his lips and stops to stand directly in front of me. My face at eye level with his stomach.

Without another word, I hold my phone up and out towards him. The conversation with Myra still open and ready to view. Hero's eyes flick down at what I'm offering him, lines forming on his forehead as he tries to figure out what it is he's supposed to see, and he slowly reaches out and takes it from me. His eyes darting back up at me and then down again as he starts to read.

The room is silent as I see the glow from my phone illuminate his face. His face stoic as he no doubt reads the first message or two. However, I see the second he gets to the part where Marvin is mentioned, his shoulders squaring as he clenches his jaw and breaths deeply through his nose.

"Why the fuck is he so concerned?" He says in a low voice. His eyes scanning the message once again.

"I don't know," is all I can say. Twisting my fingers together as I wait.

"I told him you're not his concern anymore. What? He thinks I fucking kidnapped you or something?" Hero asks and raises his eyes to meet mine. The look in them murderous even though not at me.

"Read the last one," I whisper and he stares at me a beat longer before looking down again. He scrolls a bit and I swear I don't even breathe.

"I don't know if it was Marvin or the police who called them, but apparently my parents are in town."

Hero doesn't say anything. Only wipes his hand down his face and breaths deeply again. Processing what he's just read.

"Have you spoken to them?" He asks. Still holding my phone in his hand. All I can do is shake my head.

"Have they tried to contact you?"

"I had three missed calls from them last night."

"Shit," he says as he moves to sit next to me. Tossing my phone on the bed behind us and placing his hand on my leg.

We sit in silence for a moment. Both trying to formulate a plan. Just as I'm about to speak, Hero beats me to it. "I'll arrange for us to leave tonight. I'll call Lincoln to pick us up."

"Okay," I say quietly and reach down to take his hand. Having to feel his skin just to be able to breathe.

"It'll be alright," he says as he kisses my temple and moves to stand again. Walking across the room to resume getting dressed.

I try to swallow down my nerves. Hoping what he said is true. But while I'd like to believe that once we get home, we can set the record strait, there's just one thing that I can't get out of my head.

While Hero's brought me here to meet his family, his friends, let me in to see his life and share the most amazing week of my life together, I haven't even told my family about him yet.