Fifty nine

"Hi there, mama," I smirk at Myra as she plops down in the chair across from me in the break room. We've been working since eight this morning and it's the first time we've sat down all day.

"I'm not even three months into this shit and I'm regretting ever letting Dan do this to me.." she groans as she situates herself into the hard plastic chair. Trying to get more comfortable.

"Umm, doesn't it take two to make a baby? I think that's freshman year health class 101," I laugh while I sip on my tea I just warmed up. Peppermint. My absolutely favorite.

Myra rolls her eyes and waves me off. Her wince suddenly replaced by a beaming smile full of mischief. One look that means nothing ever good if you ask me.

"Girl, are we going to talk about the way your man handed Marvin his ass the other night? I swear I just got turned on all over again," she wags her eyebrows and dips into her yogurt.

"No," I try to hide my smile. Okay.. that shit was hot. Who am I to lie?

"Look me in the eyes and tell me you didn't jump his bones when you guys got home.."

"I didn't."

Instead, he drug me through the city to get milkshakes in the middle of the night like a crazy person and passed out as soon as his head hit the pillow. Alcohol induced coma.

"Liar."

"By the way," I change the subject. "Please know that the whole god parents thing was so out of line. He just said that.."

"Jo," she cuts me off. Waving her hand in the air. "We were going to ask you anyway."

My eyes widen in shock. "What? Why not your sister?"

"She already has a kid. Well.. stepchild and I just feel like her plate would be too full if something ever happened." She says it like it's no big deal.

"Besides," she goes on. "You have your shit together. Not out partying all the time and Hero seems like he'd be able to keep a kid in line."

I'm so at a loss for words, I can't even speak. I'm grateful that she would even consider me to be a good candidate to take care of her child god forbid something ever happen to her and Dan, but I have little to no experience with kids. And besides, what if Hero doesn't even want them? Also.. why the fuck am I thinking this far into the future with him?!

I stop the overload of thoughts suddenly racing through my mind as I reach out and take Myra's hand in mine across the table. "I never got to say how happy I am for you guys," I give her a loving smile. "You're going to be the best parents a kid could ever ask for."

"Ohmygod Stop," she whispers and fans her eyes while wiping under her nose quickly. No doubt having a moment. "These fucking pregnancy hormones are making me insane. I swear I cry at anything," she chokes out through a laugh and I smile at her.

"Okay," she slaps her palms down on the table. "Enough sappy whatever is happening right now. The work Valentine's Day get together is this weekend. Please tell me you and Hero are going. I don't want to, but I feel like I should. Dan has some surgery that's scheduled in the middle of the afternoon and doesn't think will be done by the time it starts. I need you there," she sighs and leans back in her chair.

Ah.. yes. The infamous v-day dinner and drinks is here at last. Eye roll.

Rumor has it, the last head doctor came up with the brilliant idea when her boyfriend dumped her on actual Valentine's Day. Total dick move if you ask anyone with a pulse. But, instead of revolting against the holiday, she ran with it. Making it a night for all those who aren't working or get off early from their shifts that day to spend together if they're alone, eating food at some swanky restaurant and drinking until they don't feel alone anymore. Couples aren't usually present, but the amount of people that show up every year seems to multiply. Probably because they find out they're drinking on the hospitals tab. Crazy HR move if you ask me. But hey, I've gone once or twice.

"I don't know.."

"Well has Hero said anything about plans?" She asks, leaning in further. Completely ignoring her lunch.

"I mean, not yet.."

"So you're going." Myra raises an eyebrow and I slink back in my chair.

"Why do you want to go so bad?" I ask, suddenly stiffening at the thought of what this night could bring. "Why don't the four of us do something when Dan gets off?"

"Because," Myra's lips part and a grin starts to form. "I know for a fact that fucker Marvin is single and I want to see round two."

••••••

"I'll text you later," I wave at Myra as she throws me a smile over her shoulder. Heading towards the elevator back up to the twelfth floor.

I pull my phone out of my pocket to see if Hero's texted me. No doubt he has. He tends to blow my phone up from the minute I leave in the mornings. Always making me smile.

From Hero: did you know that there's such a thing as a strawberry bagel? Who the fuck even invented that?

I smirk as I read his message.

From Hero: also, I'm trying out a new breakfast spot. They had four and a half stars on their yelp page but the service is shit. LIARS. I won't be coming back.

I laugh at that one. Where the fuck is he at?

From Hero: I know you're working hard and I'm sorry for bothering you. No.. scratch that. I'm not. I miss you. Quit your job and come cuddle on the couch with me today. And every day after that. I'll even throw in a massage. Free of charge. 😘

Just as I'm about to start typing, a shadow falls over me. Making me look up.

"Hey," Marvin looks down at me. I look from side to side and notice we're the only ones in the hall.

He's not as tall as Hero. Barely six foot. But still, I'm short so I have to look up. He's in navy blue scrubs and a white doctors coat. A stethoscope draped around his neck. His hair is clean cut. Parted on the side. The sandy blonde locks in perfect place. His blue eyes gaze upon me like they're on fire.

Without a word, I go to walk around him but his arm reaches out to stop me. His fingers curling around my bicep as he stands his ground. Normally, I would feel my heart race and my face flush with his touch, but right now? I feel nothing.

"Jo.." he goes to turn more towards me and I tense. "Let's talk."

Talk? After all this time? Talk?!

I would rather shove my shoe up his ass.

"I have to go.." I say under my breath and his grip tightens. Making me whip my head back in his direction to look him in the eyes.

"Can we get a drink? After work?" His blue eyes look into mine. Trying to embed themselves into my very soul. My phone is still in my hand. I could probably call 911 if I really needed to. But what the hell good would that do? I think I just need Hero.

"Ha," I huff out a laugh and move to yank myself from his grip again. "Not a chance."

"Jo.." his voice hardens as I pull from his grip and square my shoulders to face him. His jaw is set. His eyes boring into me. He looks pissed. Good. Stay that way for all I care.

"If you'd just let me explain.."

"I don't want your fucking explanations," I lower my voice so only he can hear me. All the while taking a step towards him. "I heard all I needed to when you left me for some bitch you probably don't even talk to anymore." I watch as his eyes widen slightly and he draws in a breath. "So if you'll excuse me, I need to get back to work. And after that? I'm going to go home," I say the word with emphasis. Not letting up. "To my boyfriend. Who I know for a fact wouldn't treat his worst enemy the way you've treated me." I look him up and down all the while my hands are trembling.

Silence follows my words. Only the distant sounds of the elevator stopping at our floor. Before he can say anything, I turn on my heel and start walking towards it. My stomach in knots as I press it to go down.

My fingers itch to dial hero's number. Tell him to drop everything and come and get me. The backs of my eyes burn with Unshed tears. But I don't. I'm going to do exactly as I say. And when I get home? Then the truth will come out.