Thirty three

Hero

It's a little before 8am, Monday morning and I'm about to step into work for the first time in nearly two weeks.

It does feel good to be back in London. Like coming home after a long trip away, comfortable in your own surroundings and everything you've coexisted with for years on end. But there's one thing missing; and she's thousands of miles away.

When I landed on Friday, it was nearing sundown. A full day of traveling had made me somewhat irritable and downright exhausted. The first place I went was to my apartment here in the city. My roommates Tom and James looked like a ghost had just manifested when I walked in the front door. I'm not even sure if they even realized I had been gone for as long as I was.

As usual, there were people over, pizza boxes and beer bottles littering nearly every surface in the place. If I had more energy at the time, I might have found it within myself to give a shit. But, reality was that I was stepping back into my life, away from New York and Josephine for just a while longer while I figure out how to tie up these loose ends. Temporary.

Truth be told, this move is the change I've been looking for for quite some time now. Life in London had gotten boring, repetitive and even borderline pathetic in most recent months. The friends I do keep in touch with all have their own lives to focus on, whether that be work or some sort of significant other. And the rest, well, we've simply grown apart for maybe even the same reasons.

I've lived here all my life. I've walked every street, met countless people and seen all that this place has to offer. But now, I feel I'm destined for bigger, better things.

No one in my immediate family has moved further than a town or two over. Growing up, that was nice. But, now that I've traveled and found what feels like a piece of myself further away than I ever thought possible, I have no doubt that this is what I need to do. I need to build a life for myself and it's going to be with Jo. the thought excites me as much as it terrifies.

The weather outside is dreary. Puddles occupy the potholes in the street thanks to the rain that's continued from last night. The air is cold to my face and hands as I readjust my laptop bag over my shoulder and turn the corner to my office building. Located in a central point within the city, it overlooks a vast majority of London.

I've arranged a meeting with my boss via email yesterday, and my pulse is kicking up with each stride I take towards the front door. Martin is a fair lad. He's given me all the tools to succeed. I'm not worried about upsetting him about my resignation per se, more so how bummed he will be to lose someone he can count on.

As weird as it may sound, I don't think there's been one instance where I've been second guessing this decision. From the moment I spoke the words into existence while Josephine and I stood in the middle of Central Park to the current moment right now, I haven't allowed myself to have a second thought.

In all seriousness, if she would have looked me in my eyes and told me she wanted to move to China or something, I would follow her. I wouldn't even bat an eye.

Fuck. Am I completely in over my head? Head over heels in love with the girl; absolutely yes. But despite this maybe being utterly fast and heat of the moment, one thing is for sure. I'm leaving everything I've ever known for a woman I barely even know. And yet, I feel like I've known her forever.