Sixty

Hero

I haven't quit looking at the clock since Jo called and told me she was off. That was 39 minutes ago.

I've attempted to keep myself busy. Hell, I even did what little dishes were left in the sink from this morning's coffee. I wasn't joking when I told her to quit her job and just stay home. Although she probably won't go for that; I've come to terms with the fact that she's a very independent person. I had to literally force her to accept the first time I bought her a drink. But I do admit, the idea sounds good to me.

As I'm washing my hands in the kitchen, I hear the deadbolt unlock from the other side. Within seconds, I see Jo step into the apartment. Hair windblown from being outside, cheeks flushed a rosy pink from the cold winter air. But to me? She looks fucking stunning.

"Hi," she breaths out as she closes the door behind her. Cold air entering in as well.

"Hi, baby," I beam at her while I dry my hands. The same ones itching to touch her for the first time in hours.

I watch as she hangs her jacket on the hook next to the door and kicks her little white sneakers off to the side. In light blue scrubs she looks like a dream as she walks towards me into the kitchen.

"How was your day?"

"Exhausting," she sighs as she melts into me, falling into my embrace as I wrap my arms tightly around her. I chuckle as I give her a kiss on the head, our height difference prominent now that she's bare foot.

I never really knew the whole "feels like coming home" thing that people often say. Which in reality, am I even in the position right now? I mean, I've literally been here all day. But the way I feel when Jo steps through that door after being away nearly all day has me feeling that exact way. Grounded. Safe. Knowing she's now safe here with me.

After a few seconds of embrace, I pull away with my hands firmly planted on her shoulders, giving me enough room to look down into her eyes. Automatically, my lips want hers, and I lean down and kiss her slowly, our tongues touching for just a second as my hands travel up to her neck on both sides. I could stay here forever.

"You look like you need a drink," I smirk at her when I pull away. She gives me an eyes closed smile.

"Mmm," she hums in appreciation while taking a step back. "That sounds nice."

After that, I'm on it. Turning around to fetch two glasses from the cabinet next to the fridge.

"Is it a whisky or a wine kind of day?" I ask as I look at her out of the corner of my eye where she's now seated in a stool at the island.

"Wine, please."

I nod my head as I get a fresh bottle of her favorite red out from underneath the cabinets. Uncorking and pouring in record time.

"Love.." I say as I hand her a glass. She gives me a sly smile and accepts it. The sun is just beginning to set outside, rays of remaining sunlight beaming through the kitchen window onto her face. I can't help but notice how deep blue her eyes are right now, but if I'm not mistaken, they harbor a bit of restlessness in them.

"So.." I set my glass on the counter and place my palms on either side of me so that we are across from each other. "Tell me about your day. What made it exhausting?"

With her eyes closed, I watch as Jo takes another sip from her wine, slow to swallow it down and keeps her eyes closed while doing so. She looks slightly tense but the alcohol seems to be helping. All the while, I patiently wait for her answer.