Seventeen

Hero

"Here we are," Jo sighs as she unlocks the door of her small apartment before leading us inside. The smell of vanilla hits me instantly, giving the space a cozy and inviting feel.

When we left the diner, we were able to catch a cab about a half block down. Thank god. Because it's nearing Ice Cap temperatures outside the later it gets. I couldn't help but notice how Jo fiddled with her fingernails the entire ride here. Staring out the window into the night as we passed one tall building after the next. She looked nervous. Even though it was her idea to come back here.

I don't expect to have sex with her tonight. Like I told her; that's not all I'm after. Actually, I told her a lot of things tonight. Things that I couldn't believe I had even been thinking after meeting her once. But in the back of my mind, I didn't know if I would ever get the chance to be so open and honest with her about how she makes me feel. So I said 'fuck it' and now here we are.

"Do you want something to drink? She asks as she takes off my suit jacket and drapes it over the back of the couch.

"I'll take whatever you have," I smile at her and make my way over to the emerald green piece of furniture that looks like it's upholstered in velvet. Jo's apartment may be small but she has good taste. Bits of color pop here and there around the room, nothing really matching but none of it clashing too much either. Unlike my place back home, that's mostly black and white.

"I have water, orange juice, wine.." she rattles off from inside the fridge a few feet away.

"Surprise me."

I hear a cupboard door open and close and the sound of a few glasses clinking against each other before she approaches me, her bare feet carrying her across the floor. She's got two wine glasses in hand, both filled with dark red liquid halfway. This girl and her wine.

"Before you say anything, I'm well aware it's one thirty in the morning. But I have tomorrow off and it's technically still a holiday.." she raises her eyebrow as she hands me one of the glasses.

"Very well," I smile and take the glass from her hand. I watch her from above the rim as she goes over to one of the floor lamps in the corner of the room and turns it on, the light casting a warm glow over us. She's still in the little black dress she wore to the party tonight and even without heels and all the extra stuff women put into an outfit, she looks stunning. Her legs are slender and toned. Her toes are painted cherry red. Even at this hour, she's a sight to behold.

Jo takes a seat on the other side of her three person couch and tucks her legs underneath her, her dress hitting above the knee. She takes a sip from her glass but keeps it in her hands on top of her lap securely as she looks back to me.

"Can I ask you a question?" She says, studying me for a second.

"Ask away."

She chews on the inside of her cheek for a second, like she's contemplating her next words. "Why did your girlfriend cheat on you?"

I'm momentarily stunned, I won't lie. I had told her about Emma and her adulterant ways when I contacted her three months ago. But the way she words it now, I'm not sure I have an answer for.

"Um," I clear my throat and take another drink. "I guess she just wasn't happy." Is all I can think to say.

"How long were you together?" Her voice is soft.

"A little over eight months."

"Were you good to her?"

It doesn't take me long to respond. "I think so, yes." And I was. Too good, apparently.

There's a silence that falls between us. Like she's taking in all the information. Mulling it over in her head. She's running her finger back and forth over the rim of her glass and looking down into her lap.

"That guy.." she says quietly, "that bumped into me at the bar tonight. He's my ex." She says this with almost no emotion, yet she sounds sad.

So my instinct was correct about the shift in energy once he entered the equation. That's why she freaked out and ran.

Instead of saying anything, I let her have time before she continues. I have a feeling the guy did a number on her. I don't want to push her or ask the wrong thing.

"He cheated on me, too."

Cheated on her? Who the fuck in their right mind would cheat on Josephine? A god damn idiot. That's who.

"I'm sorry," I offer as I lean back a little further on the couch.

"I didn't even know it was going on. Or for how long," she shakes her head and continues to look down. "We dated all through college. Well, I was in college. He was out in the world being a doctor," she huffs, giving me the idea she's less than impressed. "Three years," she whispers. "We lived together."

Her eyes meet mine and she looks straight at me. The face of a woman who was betrayed right in front of my face.

"Tonight was the first time I've seen him since I moved out." She swallows. "Ten months ago."

How this woman has been single for ten months is beyond me. Jesus. It took me one time of even looking at her to be hooked and here she is, alone. If it weren't for the simple fact that her ex seemingly broke her heart, I might have had to thank the guy. For fucking everything up and leading her straight to me.

"He sounds like an idiot," I can't help the words from coming out. The truth, nonetheless.

"He's a brain surgeon," she attempts to laugh.

"Who also happens to be a complete fucking idiot," I cut in. "Trust me." I lick my lips, willing myself enough courage to continue. "I'm a pretty good judge of character."

I advert my eyes to Josephine, curled up on her side of the couch, her gaze upon me. "Yeah?" She breaths out.

"Yeah." I say matter of factly. Staring her down.

Her internal battle doesn't go unnoticed. I watch as she drops her gaze for a split second before bringing it up again. Her position never moving from where she sits.

"So what do you think about me?" She quietly asks and I'll be damned if my heart doesn't try to make a break for it.

What do I think about you? Let me see..

My mind is racing. No.. fucking sprinting.

I think she's the most beautiful, infuriating, hard headed woman I've ever met. I think that her skin is like silk and her mouth feels so good against mine. I think that if I weren't raised properly, I'd sling her over my shoulder, lie her down right here and ravage her body with my tongue and my dick.

But most of all; I think I want her to realize that I came here with one thing in mind. To do this shit right.