Fifty eight

I can feel the burn of Marvin's eyes as Hero and I walk towards the exit of the restaurant. There was no ignoring the fact that Hero set out to push his buttons and honestly.. exceeded expectations. The grin on my face might become permanent because I can't seem to make it go away. My ex looked like he was about to explode.

"You.. are.."

"One up on that dipshit? Yeah, baby, I know," Hero grins cheekily as we step out onto the sidewalk. The cold winter air like a slap to the face after being inside.

I can't help but giggle, feeling giddy at the fact that Hero put Marvin in his place. In front of whoever he was with. I'm surprised Myra hasn't texted yet to re live all the details.

Since we didn't have time to order a car before we made our grand exit, it looks like we're cabbing it tonight. Old school.

I stand huddled next to the building as I watch Hero whistle and wave down a car. They immediately pull over. Damn. He's really gotten the hang of this New York thing. He almost fits right in.

"Ma'lady," he swings his arm out in dramatic fashion, inviting me in first. His accent more prominent now that he's intoxicated and I laugh as I slide in the back seat. He stumbles a bit as he follows me in. Those drinks at dinner starting to creep up on him now.

After giving the driver our address, he punches the meter and begins to pull away from the curb. Fog rolling up from the pot holes in the streets around us as we begin to pick up speed.

I can't even find it in myself to be horrified at the fact that Marvin totally crashed our double date. It's so like him to just ruin the mood and make everyone uncomfortable. Him and Dan became friends simply because of Myra and I back when we were together. I'm willing to bet money that they haven't even spoken since we had our falling out.

I mean, what the hell was the purpose of all that? Does he just get a kick out of watching me squirm? Like he hasn't done enough damage to my head with all the shit he's pulled? Whatever. As soon as Hero's hand slides it's way up my thigh, just slightly underneath the hem of my little black dress, Marvin and his antics are all but forgotten.

"Holy shit," Hero's voice pulls me back to reality as he's practically plastered his face to the window on his side. "We gotta stop. Hey, pull over!" He commands the driver and with a sharp look into the review mirror back at us and a few mumbled choice words, he begrudgingly pulls the cab over and unlocks the doors.

"Hero!" I squeal as he starts pulling me from the car as he stands on the street. Looking like a kid on Christmas over god knows what right now.

"Come on!" He laughs as I struggle out to stand. "Thanks!" He salutes the driver and tosses a twenty into the car and slams the door behind us.

"What are you doing?!" I all but yell as he starts yanking on my hand, going back the way we came from. My legs working overtime to keep up with his long strides. Let me tell you.. not so easy in heels.

"Do you not realize where we are right now?!" He yells over his shoulder. His eyes nearly twinkling in the night. Before I can even respond, he comes to a complete stop on the corner and holds his arms up at his sides. His head thrown back to look up the side of a building.

'Maggie's Diner' In flashing neon lights.

He continues to hold his pose and I try my hardest not to laugh as he keeps swinging his head back and forth from the sign down to me. As if expecting me to jump up and down and start celebrating our arrival as some sort of victory.

A diner? Seriously? What? Has he never seen one like this before?

Before I can even say a word, his hand is on my back and he's ushering me through the glass door as it creaks open on its hinges. The smell of grease invading my nose with each step inside.