Seventy eight

Hero

"What the..." Jo says as we walk up the driveway to Will's house. Not gonna lie.. the fuckers done well for himself. I mean, hell, he's got a three story condo on the west side of the city. Paid for? Well.. let's not go into details. But he's here. And so are we.

"Wait until you see the inside," I smile at Jo from the side as I ring the doorbell. Truth be told, I've been here more than I care to admit.

After my ex, Emma, cheated on me, I crashed on Will's couch more than four nights out of the week. When your ex is screwing your roommates, you tend to go elsewhere.

Ever since I moved to the city, I haven't been back. And since his long time girlfriend Maci moved in just a little under a year ago, his place has definitely lost its bachelor touch.

"Hey guys!" Will greets us as he swings the door open wide. A bottle of beer hanging at his side. He's dressed as if he's about to go to a wedding. Navy slacks, dark chestnut leather shoes and a pinstripe collard shirt revealing nearly half his chest. While some may think dressing to the nines just go out for drinks on any given day is overkill, that's just how we do.

"Hey, bro. Thanks for the invite," I slap him on the back as I guide Josephine through the door, my hand above the small of her back. I watch as he winks at her and she says a shy hello.

Jesus, she looks mouthwatering tonight. Same on any given day, really but tonight, her hair is blown out into dramatic long curls that hit the center of her back, the dress she picked like a second skin. If I weren't for my mom coming back to the manor while we were trying to get out the door, our arrival very well would have been later.
Much later if I had my way.

She's fucking stunning with her smoky eyes and nude lips. Her blue eyes twinkling underneath the chandelier that hangs in the foyer. I'm so mesmerized, I don't even notice Arlow and Dez saluting to us with their own drinks just off the kitchen.

"You guys need a drink?" Will calls out as he leads us to the rest of the group. I see Jo peering around her with each square inch we pass. Will's always had expensive taste. His dad was an heir to a very fancy vodka label that he's since turned into an empire under his watch. But similar to myself, he's always been pretty humble when it comes to his family's fortune. Except when it came to buying and furnishing this place when he was only twenty one. I'm pretty sure the silverware alone costs more than a down payment on a car.

Just as We reach the kitchen and everyone says hi to Jo and I, we hear a door slam just down the hall.

"Babe! Have you seen my black heels?!" I recognize Maci's voice right away.

"Which ones?"

"The black ones!" She yells down the hallway, and Will shakes his head as he pours our first round of shots.

"Too many god damn shoes.." he says under his breath, causing all of us to chuckle lightly.

"Thank you," Jo accepts her shot from Will and scoots a little closer to where I'm standing at the kitchen island as the guys all begin to gather around.

"Come take a shot and then I'll help you find them!" Will says as he puts the cap on none other than his family's namesake Vodka. Vensue. My mouth waters in anticipation.

Arlow and Dez laugh amongst themselves at something on one of their phones. The fact that the two of them are still actively single after all this time not a shock in the least. They're more for hooking up on any given day. Will and I have always been more prone to relationships.

"It better be a double, making me having to pause getting ready.." Maci's voice comes closer as do the pad of her bare feet on the hardwood. Suddenly, she's coming around the corner, in none other than a hot pink strapless dress that I swear looks painted on. Her platinum blonde hair in a high pony on top of her head and dark makeup circling her eyes. She looks like Barbie, If Barbie had double D's. And exactly the same since we were all in high school.

"Oh my god!" She squeals when she sees me. Bouncing forward and throwing her arms around my neck. The force of her crashing into me nearly knocks me off my feet, my laugh over taking the room.

"Good to see you too," I pat her back a few times and grin as she steps back. Looking me head to toe in my all black wardrobe. I haven't been away that long.

Say what you will, but Maci's always been one of the guys. From first glance, you'd get the impression that she's your typical "dumb blonde". Complete with fake eyelashes as real as her tits. But that couldn't be further from the truth. Mace has always been an extension of our group. Like that girl who would rather hang out with the guys because she can converse easily, take a joke and isn't just hanging around. And more than that, she's quite possibly the best wingwoman the game's ever seen. If anything, she's a 'girls' girl'. Never jealous, always chill.

"Hi!" She turns her attention away from me and faces Jo. Pulling her in for a hug just the same. I can't help but reach out and place my hand on Jo's back, letting her know this is completely and perfectly normal. Maci's a lot. We've just all been accustomed to it. "I'm Maci. Will's girlfriend," she throws a thumb over her shoulder. Her ponytail nearly whipping me in the face. "So nice to meet you!"

"Nice to meet you," Jo smiles and I swear I can feel her nerves from here. No doubt feeling overwhelmed right about now. Nothing a few shots can't fix momentarily.

"Hero, where the bloody hell did you find this girl? She's fucking adorable," Maci swats my chest on the way over to Will's side. Her smile brighter than every room in this house.

I don't miss as Jo's cheeks redden at the compliment. Each of us now with a shot in our hand.

"What are we toasting to?" Will asks, raising his above his head in the center of the group.

"To having Hero and.." Maci's sentence trails off as she hesitates around Jo's name.

"Josephine," I laugh as I place my hand just above her ass out of sight, raising my own drink with my other hand.

"To having Hero and Josephine here, and to drinking top shelf all night!"

"Cheers!" Everyone says in unison before downing the clear liquid that's so damn smooth, it could get you into trouble.

"Help me find my heels and then we'll go," Maci runs her hand up Will's chest before kissing him on the cheek. The chemistry between the two obviously not lacking since the last time I was around them. Since being together before either of them could drive, you'd think the flame would have burnt out. But clearly, it's not at all.

"Of course, baby," Will says as she leads them down the hall away from the group. Giggling as he slaps her ass loud enough to echo off the walls. Jesus, these two. Like two horny teenagers even after all this time.

"You okay?" I lean down to whisper close to Jo's ear. Rubbing her back lightly and seeing the alcohol starting to make her eyes shine.

"I'm good," she smiles up at me, adjusting her crème colored cropped jacket on her frame.

"Good," I kiss her quickly before my attention is pulled away to Arlow beginning to pour another round of shots for the four of us.

"Now.." he says as he fills one crystal glass after another. "Who the fuck is ready to get drunk?!"