Twenty eight

"Wait Wait Wait.." Myra laughs and it fills the room. "You attacked him with what?!" She grabs my hand in attempt to rectify the situation.

"A curling iron. I told you this.." I say through my teeth.

Jesus H Christ. This morning was a whirlwind. I knew this already .. but Myra's hysterics have reminded me again.

"Josey!!!"

"Please don't call me that.."

"Look.." she positions herself towards me, "awkward moments happen in relationships. For instance, when Dan and I first started dating, I decided to stop by his apartment one afternoon, right? And the whole time I'm working myself up, thinking 'I'm the best girlfriend ever because there I am bringing mango smoothies over and he's going to love it'.." she drops her head and continues to hold my hands, "he answers the door and has shaving cream on his chest. His CHEST. Jo.. these things happen," she laughs and I join her. Picturing the scene laid out in front of me.

"Ughhhh.." I whine and throw my head back. "He probably thinks I'm some crazy person now. Like I'll attack him in his sleep or something."

"Oh please," Myra waves her hand in the air. "Let's face it. You two probably don't get much sleep together anyway," she winks and I roll my eyes.

Touché.

"Come on," she glances at her Fitbit on her wrist. "Time to get back to work."

••••••

"I thought you said you weren't good at this.." I eye Hero suspiciously as I stand up from my chair.

"I'm not. Beginners luck," he winks and takes a swig of his drink on the table.

"Mhmm.." I straighten my shirt.

"I'm still beating you. By.." I crane my neck to the screen above. "Fifteen points."
Which earns me a chuckle.

After work tonight, Hero surprised me with a date. Bowling of all things. At first I was hesitant, but after he basically gave me no choice, we made our way here.

He insists he's never played before but the truth is in the score. I wouldn't say I'm great, but I've bowled my fair share. Especially during my college days. So what I'm a bit rusty? All I know is he looks absolutely mouth watering in his dark jeans and white t shirt. Perfectly casual, and I'm the same.

"Don't put it in the gutter," he smirks as I pick up my ball and smile over my shoulder. We've been at this for an hour now and have been drinking pitchers of beer (the only thing they seem to have here) like it's water. I will admit, I'm slightly tipsy and I can tell he is too.

I get into position and line up my shot. Ten perfectly still pins at the end of the lane. I take a few steps and release the ball, the sound of it rolling down the hardwood like music to my ears. Eventually, it crashes into its objects, sending them flying every which way and I realize I've just knocked them all over in one go.

"Oh my god!" I squeal and turn around to face him, my hands in the air like I'm the champion I feel in this very moment.

"That's my girl," he laughs as he picks me up and twirls me around before setting me down and placing a kiss onto my lips.

His girl.

His words spark something to life inside me that I've been keeping all to myself. I laugh and kiss him again before he saunters off to claim his turn.

••••••

It's ten o'clock pm and we're just getting back to my apartment. Hero talked his way into staying here (which didn't take a lot) and I'm overwhelmed that he isn't freaked out by my little display yesterday morning.