Eighteen

Hero

My mind is a cross roads. Well.. somewhat.

I've been so honest with her tonight, it's unnerving. And not only that, I can't help but not. Deciding to man up and continue on with it, I look her directly in the eyes. "I think that you deserve much better."

It's true. A proven fact. One that I've come to the conclusion to after hearing about the asshole who broke her heart.

I watch as her lips lift up slightly, like she wants to smile but can't. I want to see it. Be the one who caused it. So I continue to speak. "He's fucked if he thinks he can do better than you, Josephine." My words are deep and low. Giving light to my current state of mind.

As if she's awoken from a trance, her eyes dart up to mine, etched with something between confusion and thankfulness.

I don't know why she would be confused. I'm willing to bet I'm not the first man who's told her these things. The night of the wedding comes back into play and I'm met with the blonde haired guy she was talking to when I decided to interrupt. Frat guy. Whatever his name was again.

She said she had gone on a date with him only months before. Maybe he had relayed the message as well. Before I have a chance to dig deeper into my current state of mind, I notice Jo rise from her current position and place her wine glass on the small coffee table next to us.

My hands are itching to reach out. To touch her and pull her into me. God damn it. I've had one taste of her. One. And I'm already craving another.

Already? I mentally scold myself. I've wanted this since she left the hotel. I've wanted this since I pulled out of her the last time we were together and she ran for the hills and never looked back.

I want her so god damn badly, I told my boss I had family business to attend to and instead, flew here. Something I've never done before. For anyone.

"What do you mean?" Her soft voice cuts into my thoughts.

I can't find it in myself to contemplate. Let alone, worry about the outcome. I need her to know she's special. Whether I look like a dumb ass or not. So, I take a deep breath and shift in my seat towards her, my eyes landing on hers in the process.

"He didn't deserve you," I pine her with a look that says 'I mean business'.

She sucks in a breath, small but noticeable.

She looks worried. Confused and maybe a little turned on. God knows I am. This whole game that we've played since the first night we met; let's see who can make who fold first is fun and all. Believe me. I love it. But a part of me wants her to give into her emotions. Devour me first. But also, I want to show her that I mean everything I say. That her ex is the epitome of lame and whatever she's feeling or has been feeling since she saw him tonight can be erased from her mind. By me.

"Can I ask you something?" I say sternly, staring at her from where I sit. She nods her head slowly, keeping eye contact and it makes the skin on the back of my neck crawl. She wants this. Whatever this may be. I can feel it. Just as much as I did three months ago.

"Can I kiss you?"

The air around us is silent. Like the whole world has stopped. Our eyes are locked on each other's, hard and unwavering.

I don't miss the shock that passes through hers. Like she's startled by my question. It's brief. Like a star shooting though the sky, but it's there nonetheless.

Jo clears her throat quietly, as if she's scared I'll hear before nodding briefly and sinking into her seat. "Yes," she whispers. Eyes still trained on me.