Twenty five

It's nearing one o'clock this afternoon, and I'm finally able to take a much needed break. I got to work around seven thirty this morning and have been run ragged ever since. Damn holiday breaks making everyone needing a hospital all of a sudden. I'm suddenly wishing I was back in bed with Hero.

No. I have to tell myself.

I need to stop myself from becoming too attached. He lives in London for Christ sake. And he's only just visiting. This is temporary. But the way we are together is evolving. I can feel it. And truth me told; it scares me.

"There you are!" Myra beams as she waltzes into the hospital employee lunch room. Grinning from ear to ear.

"I'm still mad at you.." I give her a side eye as she sits down across from me.

"Oh stop. You could never. I just.. can't keep secrets from Dan. That's all."

"No.. you just can't keep anything to yourself," I roll my eyes and push the flavorless chicken and rice around in front of me.

"You know, any other girl would be shouting from the rooftops that she's banging that sexy English piece of ass. And here you are.. sulking."

"I'm not sulking. I'm reacting accordingly. No need to tell the whole world what goes on behind closed doors."

"You could tell your best friend what goes on behind closed doors. She won't tell her husband all of your dirty little secrets. You have her word.." she looks up at me through her eyelashes and smirks.

"No."

"Come on, Jo," she groans. "This is the most exciting thing that's happened to you in like a year. Can you blame me for being excited?"

"It's fun, okay? But I'm just not expecting anything right now. He doesn't even know how long he's in town for anyway.." I sigh.

"Really?" She asks. "Why's he here in the first place?"

We sit in silence for a moment, quiet conversation swirling around us from around the room.

Oh, she'll have a hay day with this one..

"He came back for me."

I look at her strait on, her eyes widening as she takes in my words.

"He told you that?" She gapes. Taking a drink from her straw.

"Mhmm. New Year's Eve. After we left the party, we ended up at some hole in the wall diner on 64th. He told me he hadn't stopped thinking about me since we met and hated we left things so poorly. Then yesterday, he tells me he's interested in seeing where things could go between us.."

Myra studies me. Chewing on the inside of her cheek intently. Shit. Why does she look nervous? I'm the one who should be.
Hell, I am.

"So what's the problem?" She asks.

I set my fork down and lean back in my chair. "I don't know. I mean, we have fun we we're together. He's great.."

"And the sex?" She prompts, her eyebrows raised. Way to try and sneak that in, My.

"The sex is.. better than good."

"How much better?"

"We're fucking two to three times a night. He got me off in the shower last night with his hand before he even got me into bed."

"Jesus Christ, Jo!" She whisper yells and puts her hands to her temples. "So what exactly is the problem?"

"He just.. lives so far away. I don't want to become too attached because of the distance." I say as I slump my shoulders.

Leave it to me; Hookup with a guy with no strings attached. Said guy flies back across the world to chase me down and ask for another chance. Everything about him is what I've dreamed about and all I can focus on is the negative. I'm shameful, really.

"And that's the only issue?" Myra asks with furrowed brows. Obviously not satisfied with my reasoning.

"I'm just scared, My. In case you forgot, Marvin really did me in. The thought of being in a relationship scares the living shit out of me. I can't handle heart break again. I can't."

Myra leans over the table and takes one of my hands into her own. "Josephine. We've all established that Marvin is a grade-A asshole who didn't deserve you in the first place. From what Dan's said, Hero is a really great guy. And obviously great at.. other things as well," she chuckles and I can't help but smile. "I'm not telling you what to do, but if I were in your position, I would take this opportunity to just have fun. Get to know the guy. Go on dates while he's here. Fuck like rabbits. Do whatever. But don't turn your back on him and regret it down the line. You never know what will happen."

Leave it to Myra, my own personal pain in the ass to be the voice of reason. After all, I guess she's the married one, now isn't she?

I take a moment to go over her words. Tying not to talk myself out of what my brain is trying to tell me about the situation. It tends to overthink.

"I guess I deserve to have some fun," I smile at her reassuringly as I sit up a little in my chair.

"Now we're talkin'.." she smiles and digs into her food.

Coworkers bustle around us, rushing to get back to their shifts. I've still got about ten minutes left so I pull out my phone to check it for the first time in a while. I'm met with a text from Hero and my heart flips inside me.

Hero: ate lunch at one of those little cart things again today. went with the all American. really trying my hand at this tourist thing

His text makes me laugh and I instantly reply.

Me: I've created a monster :)

Within seconds, I see the bubbles pop up indicating he's responding.

Hero: oh babe.. you already did

I find myself smiling as my stomach does flips. Another text comes through.

Hero: when are you off? I'd really like to go to dinner tonight together. If you're not too tired that is

Me: I'm off at 6. What did you have in mind?

Hero: it's a surprise. I'll meet you at your apartment at 7 and then we'll go

A surprise? Okay.. Hero's been in the city for all of two days and he's talking like he knows it like the back of his hand. Not that I'm complaining. He can play tour guide tonight I suppose.

Me: should I be nervous? Something tells me I should be nervous

Hero: 😂 don't be nervous. I'll be on my best behavior

Oh, boy.