•Chapter One Hundred & Twenty Eight•

M U T E D
Season 9

Daryl's Point of View:
The night animals sung their song, chirped away and made themselves known. The wind blew lightly throughout the night. We've been searching for the missing people for a couple hours now. We soon came across some tracks, but the longer we stayed out here, the more worried I grew for these people. And us.

"I don't know if there's a happy ending here." I say.
"The trail...goes off in three different ways. Don't make sense." I frown. We all hear twigs breaking and some growls in the darkness. Everyone backs themselves into each other. "Come on." I demand. We all turn back to the direction we came from and began jogging our way back.

"Let's head back. We gotta go. Let's go!" I shout. Walkers come out from the darkness, slowin us down.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa!" I shout, looking at the walkers. "They're from Hilltop." I point out. Soon, more growls fill our ears and we knew it was a herd, bigger than just the four of us could handle. We all look at them, but we knew we'd have to fight our way  through, make a gap for us to escape.

"Watch their hands. They could be skins." Michonne warns. We took out some walkers before running again.

"Head back to the road. Come on!" I shout. We push through branches, hopped over piles of sticks and fallen tree logs. I push throw a wall of branches and I stop myself when I see walkers guarding our way back. They soon pull their hands up and reveal knives. We all picked up our weapons, standin back to back. More skins come out, pulling their knives up and creepin their way towards us. We're circled, completely surrounded. There's no way we'll be able to make I without just one of us dyin.

"Drop 'em." We suddenly hear. I turn my head and see Beta standing between two skins, holding a hard stare with me. "I won't ask twice." He growls. I huff out a breath, feelin a little defeated in this moment. I drop my knives, hearing the others do the same. Beta approaches me, towering over my figure.

"You just had to give me the girl. No one else had to die. Now that deal...is done." He growls in my face. I wish I had did more than just push him down that elevator shaft. If I had just done that, maybe he'd be dead. Alpha soon steps out and she shows me a small smile.

"You ain't gettin her back." I growl.

"You think this is about my daughter?" She asks. "I ran into some trouble on the road. It was unavoidable. Do you like my new camp? My people like to keep movin, keep roamin."

"Kingdom granted Lydia asylum. Any attempt to take her by force will result in retaliation." Michonne says.

"What's your name?" Alpha asks her.

"Michonne." Alpha smiles, looking at me.

"Does she speak for you?"

"We speak for each other." Carol says. Alpha nods.

"My daughter isn't a concern anymore. She was weak. She never lived up to expectations."

"Was?" I question. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I growl.

"To be clear...your group is in no position to threaten me. That is a habit that needs to be broken." She holds a stare with me before grabbing my arm. "Come with me. Just you." I feel another hand on my arm and I glance at Carol. I give her a nod and she releases me. Alpha and I walk through the woods for a while. The sun had finally came up and we walk out to a huge cliff. I look out ahead and see the biggest herd walking away from us.

"My people are among them, steering them. The only reason you and your friends are alive, is because I let you live." Alpha says.

"What do you want?" I ask.