•Chapter Eight•

M U T E D

Season 1

Daryl's Point of View:

Why am I stupid? Why am I stupid!? Getting mad at Bobbie the way I did, yelling at her, putting words in her mouth, literally.  I don't even know why I reacted that way. I don't know what triggered me in the first place. The last thing I wanna do is hurt her feelings or even hurt her physically. My goal is not to hurt Bobbie. She deserves more than somebody threatening her.

I pull the truck close up behind Shane's Jeep. Everyone starts spilling out of the vehicles. I look at the girl next to me, seeing her asleep and balled up. She must get cold easily or something. I used to ball up in chairs, beds, anywhere because I was always cold. She jumps up, furrowing her brows in confusion. It almost seemed like she was confused on where we were, what we were doing.

"We're here." I utter. She remembers and reaches for her bow and sash of arrows. She climbs out of the truck and straps the sash around her waist, securing it. Immediately I can smell the rotting corpses that lies around the area. It's strong and almost makes me want to gag. Rick takes the lead and he guides the line of people through the courtyard, passed the bodies. I can hear everyone gagging and coughing from the strong smell. I see Bobbie making a face of disgust but she pushes through.

"Alright, everybody. Keep it moving. Go on. Stay quiet. Let's go." Shane says. We all tried to keep quiet. If it weren't for the rotting corpses, cooking in the Atlanta heat, it probably wouldn't be so bad.

We finally approach the building, but there are metal doors drawn down to keep everything out.

"Nothing?" Shane asks, banging on the door.

"There's nobody here." T says.

"Then why are these shutters down?" Rick questions. I hear a thump and turn my head to see that Bobbie had put down a walker.

"Walkers!" I warn. I turn to look at Rick in anger. "You led us in a graveyard!" I yell.

"He made a call!" Shane pushes me back.

"It was the wrong damn call!" I argue.

"Just shut up! You hear? Shut up. Shut up!" He growls and turns away. Everyone begins talking about Fort Benning. Lori denies, says that we shouldn't go with no fuel, no food. Shane orders everyone to get back to the cars.

"The camera! It moved." Rick calls, causing everyone to stop.

"You imagined it." Dale proposes.

"It moved." Rick assures.

"Rick, it's dead, man. It's an automated device. It gears, okay? They're winding down. Now come on." Shane pulls Rick away, but Rick pulls himself out of his arms. Rick argues with Shane and he walks up to the sheers, banging his fist against it.

"I know you're in there. I know you can hear me." Rick talks to the camera. Shane walks up to Rick and hooks his arm around him, pulling away.

"Everybody get back to the cars!" Shane yells. I look among everyone and I see Bobbie standing still, covering her ears as everyone begins yelling in panic.