•Chapter Seventy Six•

M U T E D

Season 5

Daryl's Point of View:

Rick, Carol and I all headed out the gate. Rick wanted a quick meeting and he wanted us to be discrete about it. Meaning, it was only between the three of us. We all met up where Rick hid the handgun in the pile of junk near the house outside Alexandria, he figured it would be a good idea to talk to. If we did it at Alexandria, everyone would probably find us sketchy, especially our people. We don't want them walkin in on us talkin, then pausin awkwardly and lettin them figure out we're up to somethin.

We heard a walker nearby, all of us lookin around to spot it. Nothin.

"I don't see it, but it's close." Carol says.

"There's just one of 'em." I shrug, not worrying too much about it. As long as it's just one, there ain't no reason why we should panic about it.

"We won't be here long." Rick says.

"So what do you think?" I ask.

"We can go in when it's empty." Carol says.

"How is that? It's locked up at night." I say.

"The window. There's just a latch. I can leave it open." Carol shrugs.

"A latch?" I ask.

"Yeah." She nods.

"What if one of those pricks shuts it?" I ask.

"Wait a couple days, leave it open again." Carol says. The walkers snarls grow louder and we all turn our heads in the direction it was coming from.

"It's getting closer." Carol says.

"We need to do it sooner than later. Right now, they're not watching us. Not worrying about meetings like this." Rick says.

"We may need the guns, we may not." I say.

"We will whatever way it goes." Rick says. "They're the luckiest damn people I've ever met." He scoffs. "And they just keep getting luckier."

"How's that?" I question.

"We're here now." He says.

"They got a couple of footlockers just full of 9 millimeter autos, Rugers, Kel-Tecs. Just tossed in there. They don't use them. They're never gonna know they're gone." Carol says.

"Someone's got one now, right?" Rick asks.

"Mmhm." Carol nods.

"Listen, the others, we want them to try. You and Bobbie, too. Especially you two." Rick points at me. I slightly nodded my head but I tried not to think much about it. I know B and I are pretty much the outcasts of Alexandria.

"So we keep it quiet. Just us." Carol says. The sudden sound of the walkers snarls are even louder and we see the trees rustling behind us.

"Here it comes." Carol utters.

"I got him." I say.