•Chapter Fifty Nine•

M U T E D

Season 4

Daryl's Point of View:

Beth wanted to learn how to track today, so I finally decided today is the day to at least practice. She walks in front of me with my crossbow in her hands while I looked down at the ground, looking for any signs of a walker or people or an animal.

"Are we close?" Beth asks.

"Almost done." I answer.

"How do you know?" She asks.

"Just got to know how to read 'em." I say.

"What are we trackin?"

"You tell me. You're the one who wanted to learn."

"Well, somethin came through here. The patterns all zig-zaggy. It's a walker."

"Maybe it's a drunk."

"I'm getting good at this. Pretty soon I won't need you at all."

"Yeah, keep trackin." Beth suddenly stops and I look up to see a walker in an opened field. She turns back to me and I nod my head at her, allowing her to go kill the walker with my crossbow. I held my knife in my hand, preparing to run and kill it if anything goes south. Beth moves closer to the walker, sneakin up behind it. The sudden sound of metal clanking and Beth falling grabs the walkers attention. I finally begin running as the walker turns to Beth. She releases an arrow but it doesn't stop the walker. I jab my blade into its head and I baseball slide to Beth's foot. It's a deer trap. I pull it open and toss it to the side.

"Can you move it?" I ask her, watching her roll her foot in a circular motion.

"Yeah." She says breathlessly. I help her up on her feet and we continued walking. We push through a small forest before coming to an open field with a cemetery and a funeral home just ahead of us.

"You ready?" I ask her.

"Yeah, can we-can we hold up a sec?" She asks.

"You alright?" I ask her.

"I just need to sit down." She says, trying to keep herself from standing on her ankle.

"Alright." I huff out a breath and hook my crossbow over my chest. I turn and bend my knees and holding my arms out behind me. "Hop on." I say.

"Are you serious?" She asks.

"Yeah, it's a serious piggyback. Jump up." I say. I hear Beth chuckle behind me and she grabs my shoulders, hopping up on my back. I held tight of her legs and realized how heavy she actually was, compared to what I thought she weighed.

"You're heavier than you look." I say and began walking.

"Maybe there are people in there." Beth referring to the funeral home.

"Yeah, if there are, I'll handle them." I say.

"There are still good people, Daryl."