•Chapter Thirteen•

M U T E D

Season 2

Daryl's Point of View:

Hearing the one gunshot had me thinking that something was probably wrong. But I didn't want anyone to see it. The moment I heard that gunshot, I wanted to run and find Bobbie. How do I know she wasn't shot? How do I know it wasn't Rick or Shane who pulled the trigger? How do I know they were being chased by walkers?

I wasn't the only one who was worried. Lori was. She stops and looks around, which made me stop.

"You still worrying about it?" I ask Lori.

"It was a gunshot." Carol says.

"We all heard it." I point out.

"Why one- why one gunshot?" Lori asks.

"Maybe they took down a walker." I suggested, but I only said it to make myself feel better.

"Please don't patronize me. You know Rick wouldn't risk a gunshot to put down one walker, or Shane." Lori says. "They'd do it quietly."

"Shouldn't they have caught up with us by now?" Andrea asks. I sigh, hearing those words. They were, they were supposed to caught up but they haven't.

"There's nothing we can do about it anyway. Can't run around these woods chasin echoes." I say.

"So, what do we do?" Lori asks.

"Same as we've been. Beat the bush for Sophia, work our way back to the highway. I'm sure they'll hook up with us back at the highway." I say, trying to keep myself from runnin off and lookin for Sophia.

"I'm sorry for what you're going through. I know how you feel." I hear Andrea.

"I suppose you do-" Carol says and looks at us. "I thought of her, out here by herself...it's the not knowin that's killing me. I just keep hopin and prayin she doesn't wind up like Amy." Ouch. She realizes her mistake and she gasps, grabbing Andrea's hands.

"Oh, god. That's the worst thing I've ever said." She whines. Andrea closes her eyes and shakes her head.

"We're all hoping and praying with you, for what it's worth." Andrea says. I roll my eyes.

"I'll tell ya what it's worth- not a damn thing. It's a waste of time, all this hopin and prayin. We're gonna locate that little girl and she's gonna be just fine." I turn away from them. "Am I the only one zen around here? Good lord."

Bobbie's Point of View:

Shane holds me tight in his arms as we finally break through the woods and into an opened field. I see Rick stop for a moment and he turns back to the man that shot Carl.

"How far? How far?!" He screams.

"Another half mile that way! Hershel, talk to Hershel, he'll help your boy and the girl!" The man shouts behind.

"Move you shithead!" Shane yells and he keeps running.

"Come on, Bobbie. Stay with me." Shane tells.