•Chapter Thirty Eight•

M U T E D

Season 3

Bobbie's Point of View:

Carol and I gathered a few people to build some protection around the prison in case the Governor showed up. Beth stood outside with Judith, taking care of her. I helped Carol carry wooden pallets to the catwalk and laid them against the gate.

I walk down the stairs and see Glenn storming around the prison courtyard with some tools in his hands. He's heading back inside and I decided to follow, wondering what he's up to.

"The tombs outside the boiler room are overrun again." Glenn says.

"That whole section has been cleared." Hershel says.

"It's a steady stream of walkers." Glenn says.

"We're wasting time. The Governors supposedly on his way and we're stuck in here with walkers. Trapped between a rock and a hard place." Hershel says.

"For the last time, running is not an option." Glenn denies.

"Glenn, if the tombs have filled up again, it may just be a matter of time before they push in here. Or until some fence gives way. What if one of them herds is passing through? Or settled? Can't handle that with just the few of us." Hershel points out.

"Okay. Alright we need- we just need to scout the far side of the prison. Find out what's going on." Glenn says.

"You're going out there?" Carol asks.

"Take a car and make it quick." Glenn says. I step up.

"I'll drive." I nod.

"No, you stay here. Help with the fortifications. I'll take Maggie." He says.

"You sure she's up to that?" Hershel asks. Glenn's face softens and he quickly walks away. I finally clap my hands and grab everyone's attention.

"You heard him. Let's get to work." I carried more wooden crates out to catwalk and leaned them against the gate, joining the others.

"Think we'll have a real shot at this?" Carol asks me. I look at her and nod my head.

"We don't run away just because some guy want to kill us. If our lives are being threatened, then we fight. We fight back." I tell her. She smiles and turns her body towards me.

"That's what I like about you, Bobbie. You stand up for what's right. You've changed since the beginning. I'm proud of you." She squeezes my hand.

"Thank you." I smile and she returns the gesture.

"I'm gonna go grab some steel table tops from around the prison. The wooden crates won't do much. We need powerful protection." She says. I agree with Carol. Having only the gate wall and the wooden crates won't keep us from getting shot. If we use the metal table tops and then put the wooden crates in front of them, we'll have a better chance of survival.

"I'll wait here and keep my eye on Rick." I point out to Rick's direction.

"You're a good person, Bobbie." Carol smiles and she walks away. Carol heads inside and I look out to the field and beyond that point to see Rick standing in one place. He doesn't seem to be moving but just standing there. There aren't any walkers that I can see. I'm just hoping he'll realize a walker is coming at him. I scan the tree line with my eyes, making sure I don't see anybody hunched over in the bushes or anything. My eyes suddenly stop on something that was hunched over in the tree. I squint my eyes hoping to get a better view of it. I see something.