•Chapter Twelve•

M U T E D

Season 2

Bobbie's Point of View:

"Everybody takes a weapon." Shane announces, pointing at the different kinds of weapons on display on the hood of a truck. Everyone approaches the vehicle and they all begin picking out a weapon. I didn't need one as I already had my bow and knife.

"These aren't the kind of weapons we need. What about the guns?" Andrea asks.

"We've been over that. Daryl, Rick and I are carrying. We can't have people popping off rounds every time a tree rustles." Shane says. I agree with him, but Andrea, not so much.

"It's not the trees I'm worried about." Andrea scoffs.

"Say somebody fires at the wrong moment, a herd happens to be passing by. See, then it's game over for all of us. So you need to get over it." I tell her off, hoping to shut her up. She glared at me before rolling her eyes and walking away.

"The idea is to take the creek up about five miles, turn around and come back the other side. Chances are she'll be by the creek. It's her only landmark." Daryl says. Rick and everyone agrees. We're all going out to look for Sophia, but Dale and T-Dog are staying back. T-Dog is hurt from the herd. He cut himself pretty bad and he seems weak. It's better if he stays and has somebody there with him. If it weren't for Daryl, T would've died.

"Stay quiet and stay sharp. Keep space between you but always stay within sight." Rick says.

"Everybody assemble with your packs." Shane orders. "We've got to get this R.V. ready to move. We won't stay here a minute longer than we have to."

"Good luck out there. Bring Sophia back." Dale says.

We've walked through the woods for an hour, everyone in a line, giving space, but staying within eyesight. Rick lead the group, same with Daryl. I walked behind them, staying close with Daryl. Every now and then, I'd see him glancing back at me as if making sure I was still behind him. I always was.

Rick slows the train as Daryl points out to a tent ahead of us. He then orders us all to get on our knees.

"She could be in there." Shane whispers.

"Could be a whole bunch of things in there." Daryl points out. Daryl, Rick and Shane walk ahead to the tent as the rest of us stayed behind. Rick then turns back and he calls out to Carol.

"Call out softly. If she's in there, yours is the first voice she should hear." Rick whispers.

"Sophia, sweetie, are you in there? Sophia, it's mommy. Sophia, we're all here, baby. It's mommy." Carol softly calls out. Nothing. Daryl and Rick approach the tent and they slowly unzip it. They both begin coughing and gagging, but Daryl holds himself and he walks in the tent.

"Daryl?" Carol calls. He steps out.

"It ain't her." He says.

"What's in there?" I ask.

"Some guy. Did what Jenner said. Opted out. Ain't that what he called it?" He asks. The sudden sound of church bells ringing catches everyone's attention. Rick immediately takes off running and everyone follows suit. We stop when the church bells pause and we tried to pinpoint where it came from.