•Chapter Eighty Four•

M U T E D

Season 5

Daryl's Point of View:

I followed behind Dwight, Sherrie and Tina through the woods. I figured I could help 'em out with anything before I drifted off back to my bike and find Sasha and Abraham.

"So you know 'em? Still you thought I was one of 'em?" I ask Dwight.

"Where we were- we were there since the beginning." Dwight says. "We still didn't know everyone. Back when we first threw with them, it was as good as any place. Then things got harder, people got harder. Human nature kicked in and it became a truly unique kind of shitshow. People will trade anything for safety, for knowing that they're safe."

"Everything." Sherrie adds.

"So they got nothing left except just...existing." Dwight says.

"Hey, nobody's safe anymore." I say. "Can't promise that people anyhow."

"You could promise the people who want to hear it." Dwight says. Tina begins running ahead.

"Hey, Tina. Hold up." Sherrie says.

"Carla and Delly. That's them." Tina says. She quickly jogs ahead and gets under what looks like used to be a greenhouse of some sort. Right in the middle were two bodies that had melted glass covering their bodies. I guess when Dwight and Sherrie started the fire, they didn't realize it would spread so far, risking people's homes and such.

"Me and Tina used to babysit them when they were kids. Everyone said they went out north when it all started. We didn't know." Sherrie sighs. Tina walks towards the bodies and sits down between them, crying.

"I did this." Dwight says.

"We did this." Sherrie corrects him. The sudden sound of glass breaking and the screams of Tina grabs our attention and we all watch as both walkers bit down into Tina. Sherrie runs to Tina as Dwight and I killed a walker each.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry, baby, we had to try! We had to try. We had to try." Sherrie cries as Tina lies in her arms. Tina let's out a couple of coughs before her body falls limp in Sherrie's arms.

I helped Dwight dig holes for the three bodies as Sherrie sits with Tina's lifeless body, crying silently. I paused on digging and look at Dwight.

"Hey...how many walkers you killed?" I ask. He looks at me with a confused look and stops digging. "Just answer the question." I tell him.

"A lot." He says. "A couple dozen at least."

"How many people you killed?" I ask.

"None."

"Why?"

"Why haven't I killed anybody? Because if I did, there's no going back. There'd be no going back to how things were." He says.

I guide Sherrie and Dwight back to my bike and began pulling the branches off of it.

"I'm from a place where people are still like they were...more or less, better or worse." I let out a grunt as I pulled the bike up and began pushing it. "I can walk it from here. Till we meet up with my friends. They got a car. You can ride with them." I say.