•Chapter One Hundred & Forty Eight•

M U T E D

Season 10

Daryl's Point of View:
Judith and I run through the forest and get back to the building. We made sure to enter inside from the back so Beta couldn't spot us. As Judith and I get to the door, I see Carol and Kelly running up to the door. I reach the door first and opened it for everyone. I get inside and fought against one walker that forced its way inside. Carol pushes the walker against the wall and kills it. I tap her arm and we run off from the door.

"Helping people? That's all she said?" Carol asks as we walk down the stairs. I told Carol what Judith told me about Michonne. All we know is she went off and helped people, same what Maggie did. But Maggie gave us more information. Michonne? That's it. Helpin people. Didn't say where she went, how long she'd be, when she'll be coming back.

"Yeah." I say to Carol.

"If they're like us, I get it." Carol says.

"I just wish she would've told me. I'd have gone with her." I sigh. Carol and I came down here to create an explosive trip wire. If any walkers or whisperers made their way up these stairs, we'd know.

"Only way she would go anywhere is knowing you were here." Carol says. "For Judith and RJ. Everyone."

"Just keep thinking I'm never gonna see her again." I sigh. "Just like everyone else."

"I'm still here." Carol utters. I pull away from the pipe and glance at Carol as I headed back upstairs. We walk back to the others and we meet up in a room, Gabriel goin over the plan with everybody.

"Our plan is the same. We lead the horde away, just not from Oceanside as we had planned. Once the walkers are clear, we evacuate to Rendezvous Point B. Luke. We ready?"

"Yeah. Yeah, uh, technically." Luke says. "Okay, so, these are the final pieces that we need to connect to the wagon. But in order for it to do the pied piper thing that we need it to do over the cliff, we gotta get from A to B and I gotta plug and plug, and then we should be good to go."

"That wagon is on the other side of the horde." Magna says.

"So, someone's gotta go through it?" Jerry asks. "With skins in there." My thoughts quickly shot back to the memory of Rick's trick. Maybe the only way through the horde, coverin our bodies with the dead. Choppin a walker body up and spreadin the guts and blood and all, all over our bodies to blend in. We ain't got masks, ain't got time for that shit. But Rick's idea, it could work.

"Four groups. Two in each. One carries the cargo, one protects. It's crucial that all the equipment makes it to the wagon."

"We can make it through." Lydia speaks up. "I'll help."

"We're willing." Bea says. "But not if she goes." Her eyes dart to Lydia, frowning.

"We know she's earned trust with you, but...Oceanside isn't ready." Rachel adds. "Not with this."

"That's fine." Gabriel says. "As it happens, Lydia's role is in here."

"Look, we're not all gonna make it through." I say. "But this is the only way."