46. Truce (3)

Leading the King in her bedroom could be a huge mistake but it is a risk Nori is willing to take. His company is not unpleasant like before. On the contrary - the warmth of his hand gives Nori the sensation of comfort.

The prospect of being alone is disturbing. All her worries and doubts will most definitely return to haunt her. But when he is around she feels braver. His words of encouragement are giving her hope. His presence calms her down instead of making her anxious. Nori wouldn't mind him staying with her for longer. She is afraid to face the silence and darkness of this room alone. Yet, asking the King to stay would be futile. It was hard enough to put a simple cream on his skin, let alone demand his presence for the night.

Nori releases the King's hand and places the lantern on top of the small chest in the corner.

"What is this?" the King asks, pointing at a package laying on the bed, wrapped in colorful pinkish cloth.

"Oh, I don't know. The servants must have left it while I was away." Nori lifts the gift in her hands and a small note falls out from the wrapping. The Princess grabs it, curious to know who sent her the mysterious gift.

"It's a present from Seokjin," she says, smiling. "He is lending me his friend to keep me company." Nori unwraps the gift hastily.

Inside the cloth lies a soft white toy with a round head, long body and short limbs. It appears to be an animal but one Nori hasn't seen before. Is it a sheep, or a cloud with a face and body? Whatever it is, it smiles at her with an adorable expression.

"Isn't it cute!" Nori turns towards the King, her face beaming. He doesn't reply, his eyes shifting between her face and the toy. Nori brings her attention back to her new white friend, turning him in her hands and smiling. "I think he is very cute! And so soft. Do you want to feel how soft he is?"

Nori looks up at the King but he turns around abruptly and strides out of the room.

"Wait! Where are you going?!" Nori rushes after him but stumbles on the bed sheet. She swings and falls sideways on the bed, grasping on the toy instinctively.

It takes her a moment to go back to her feet and by that time the King has already disappeared into the other room. She follows after him but he is not in the living room either. He left.

Why? What did Nori do wrong this time?

She drags her feet back to her bedroom and drops on the side of the bed.

Why did the King leave? Was he offended? Why would Seokjin send the Princess something that could offend the King? Nori is tempted to follow Yoongi, to run to his rooms and demand an explanation. But this is exactly what he told her not to do. The lantern light goes off.

Nori curses loudly toward the ceiling. She stumbles her way in the dark to light the lanterns placed on each side of her bed. Soft light spreads around the room. What a beautiful, cozy and elegant room this is. Yet, it feels so empty and foreign.

Nori's eyes turn to RJ. She sits down and takes the soft doll in her hands.

"You are so cute, why didn't he like you?" She swings the toy in her hands, its cheerful expression and the sensation of the soft material giving her a sense of comfort. "The King is such a complicated man. Gets angry so easily. I know I am far from perfect but he has plenty of issues himself, don't you think?"

Nori signs and drops her head over the bed covers, staring at the ceiling.

"I will fail, won't I? There is no way out of this situation. He doesn't like me... " She slaps the cover of the bed with both hands. The toy rolls by her side."I don't like him either. Yet, I am trying! But he just leaves without a word. He is cold, mistrustful, annoying and... "