88. Court Manners (3)

The doors slide open and they walk out of the building without saying a word. The servants wish them good night, bowing low. The Royal couple proceed alone, strolling through the garden on a narrow path.Nori's mind buzzes with doubts and concerns about her behaviour, replaying her every word and wondering if she could or should have acted differently.

The ground underneath her feet feels unstable, the silence of the King by her side swallowing all other sounds as if the whole world has gone mute. Each of his movements makes Nori flinch - his hand accidentally brushing against her dress, his steps advancing parallel to hers and most of all the occasional click of his tongue that echoes loud as a thunder. It seems he wants to speak, yet no words leave his lips. Instead he clears his throat each time and keeps strolling forward, stepping so carefully as if they are walking by the edge of a cliff where each stone might start an avalanche.

"I was worried you would do something as foolish as kiss me," he says, his hoarse voice making Nori's heart jump up to her throat."But you acted even more foolishly."

She stops in place, her stomach tied in knots.

"I am the one acting foolishly?" she says, turning to face him. "What about you? The King who uses threats to make his people listen to him. Do you also sign the state papers with your knife?" She intended her words to sound like a joke but they came out aggressive and defensive. Her lips tremble as his cold eyes capture her gaze. Did she just cause an avalanche?

"I reminded them of their place," the King says with an even voice, seemingly unbothered by her remark. "They need to hear a few sobering words from time to time. Otherwise they treat me as a boy."

"I see..." Nori resumes walking, quickening her pace with each step. She can't keep his gaze or bear to witness his disapproval. She wants to avoid him, to run away from him. Why is she so feeble now when moments ago she felt triumphant and strong?

He follows after her. "Princess, are you okay?"

"Yes, I am okay... Are you okay?" She steals a glance at him, her heart racing."Or are you disappointed?"

He cocks an eyebrow. "About what?"

Nori looks ahead, walking faster, or trying to - the damn dress compels her to walk with the speed of a snail.

"What am I supposed to be disappointed about?" the King asks, catching up with her.

"About ...about the ..." She hesitates, her steps slowly coming to a halt. "About me not kissing you..." Shit! She said the first dumb thing that came to her mind. Great...

"No." he answers bluntly, stopping by her side. "You should not kiss me outside the bedroom. And you should respect the all-or-nothing rule. Kissing me in the corridor was inappropriate."

"Fine. I will follow the kissing etiquette from now on." She glances at his stern-looking face; the growing desire to earn his approval makes her say the weirdest thing."But if you were disappointed I can kiss you now..."

The King resumes walking suddenly as if the stones under his shoes have turned into flames. "There is no one around to see and be shocked by your actions, so there is no point in kissing me."

"You will be shocked by it."

"No, I won't."

"Can't you pretend you are?"

"Nope."

Nori bites her lip and catches up with him. She is not sure if she is disappointed or relieved that he refused her offer. Or why she made that offer in the first place.