70. Laws of Magic (9)

They walk around the market in silence. Jungkook can't understand what he did wrong which drives him crazy. Yet, he dares not to ask further questions as the Lady's expression tells him enough - if he values his life, he is not to address her under any circumstances.

Yet, her cold and distant expression doesn't last for long. Soon she gets lost in the task she is performing, busy selecting fabrics and accessories, going from one shop to the next. How many shops are there? Over a thousand? Two thousand? A million? And do they have to visit them all? Aren't the fabrics all the same? How will Nori ever compensate Kook for sending him on this tortures quest...?

Yet, he is already rewarded for his patience in a way... by being able to admire Lady Mira from afar, without being flustered by her attempts to cross the line. She is a unique type of a Lady, for sure, someone who makes Kook curious beyond control.

Jungkook can't help but be fascinated by Mira's energy and determination. She doesn't get tired at all, despite the heat and the constant noise of people that makes Kook's head hurt. Moreover, he is impressed by her wit and boldness. She doesn't take no for an answer and no merchant can trick her into buying something she doesn't want. Her knowledge of fabrics seems to be endless.

Even dressed as a commoner that Lady shines. She stands out in the crowd of millions and Kook notices no one by her - her smile as she finds a good textile sample; her little frown as she declines an outrageous offer and the glimmer of triumph in her eyes as she gets a special discount.

Jungkook remembers the sensations shaking his whole being last night - the desire to live passionately, wildly, fully. To do all the things he didn't do. Something about that Lady inspires him to want more.

He hasn't picked a brush in years but now he wants to paint - to make millions portraits of her. He wishes to capture not only her beauty, but every aspect of her lively personality, down to the sound of her voice - ringing loud, clear and cheerful.

Yet, one annoying thing interrupts his artistic thoughts - his belly asking for food. What time is it anyway? It's long past lunch hour. How long will it take for her to get everything she needs?

As Mira steps out of the jewelry shop, refusing to buy a pair of earrings without a discount, he comes closer to her with a question.

"Don't you have enough money?" Jungkook asks. "Why did you bargain with him for such a long time?"

"It's fun." She grins."Besides - I value my money."

"You are just stingy." Jungkook teases. And regrets it immediately after. He should not aggravate the Lady. He should..... Too late. Her eyes turn cold, her expression similar to that of an archer as he is about to launch a deadly arrow.

She looks so menacing that Jungkook would have lifted his hands to protest his face from her potential slap, if it wasn't for the packages he is carrying. Even dressed as Lord, Jungkook is doing the heavy lifting. Hopefully that won't cost him his life.

"I am not stingy." she says through her teeth. "There was a time, right after we ran away from the Palace, when me and my mother were hiding, living in the poorest parts of town. Later we found people to help us, relatives of my mother. But I will never forget what hunger feels like. Since then I try to be aware of the value of things, not being too reckless or frivolous with my spendings. You know what..." She pauses, looking sideways for a moment. Her frustration dissolves but her expression darkens even more.

"I wish I could make my own money." she says."That will put me at ease."

"Earn your own money? Like working?" Jungkook frowns confused. "Don't you have enough money already? Or some property? Did your late husband left you with nothing?"