56. Truce (14)

a/n: this part is loooong and slightly frustrating ... sorry about that :) 

------

The Princess slips out of Yoongi's hands and hurries towards the door, her feeble gait turning stable and determined.

"Jungkook? Your guard." Yoongi follows after her, putting on his robe. "Why is he here? And why is he singing? Is he drunk?"

Nori sits by the door and slides it open just enough to peek outside.

"Kookie, why are you here?"

"I am on duty tonight." Jungkook says, his voice timid and hard to hear. "But the other guard is not here yet. So I thought I might sing for you...I wasn't sure if you could hear me but..."

"I could hear you." She smiles.

"I was worried about you. You seemed better earlier but I can't stop worrying. I still think coming here was a mistake."

"I am okay. There is no need to worry..."

Yoongi scoffs. Why is the Princess talking to her guard as if the King is not there? Why is she not sending the boy away?

"Are you sure?" Jungkook asks.

She nods.

"Do you want me to sing one more song for you?"

Yoongi slides the door open and Kook trips and falls inside; the sword he was holding, ringing loudly as it lands on the ground by his side.

"Go to your room and stop rolling on the floor here." Yoongi commands.

Jungkook goes pale; his eyes almost flying out of their orbs.

"Your Highness!" He rises from the ground only to drop down to his knees, bowing low."I didn't know you were here, Your Highness...."

"Jungkook, why don't you sing my favourite song for the King." the Princess asks.

"Oh, that is ..." Kook raises his head. "It's not a very good song... for a King... "

"But I love it!" the Princess insists.

"Seriously!" Yoongi tilts his head towards her.

She ignores him.

"Don't mind the King, sing for me."

Kook shifts his eyes between the Princess and the King, looking like a scared rabbit caught stealing carrots."Are you sure he won't throw me in prison or something?"

"I am sure he would love your song." Nori takes the guard's hands and helps him to stand up on his knees. "I really need you to sing. Please." Her eyes are tense and pleading. "I need you to sing."

They look at each other as if they've reached an unspoken agreement. Jungkook nods. He clears his throat in preparation to start singing.

This must be the most absurd situation Yoongi has ever been in. A concert by a guard, in the middle of the night, in front of his wife's room...Marvellous! As if this night has not been weird enough.Yoongi turns around, throwing his hands in the air. He is done with the Ilsan people. He wants nothing to do with them. He takes a step forward. But stops in place.

Jungkook's voice rises loud and clear, stronger and more confident than before. It's a voice so soft and gentle, so emotional and expressive that it captivates the mind as a spell.

Yoongi turns around.

Jungkook's eyes are closed, hе is immersed in his song, lost in a world of his own. His eyebrows furrow as if the words he sings are a personal confession of his emotions. The faint sound of the rain outside gets stronger, playing as a melody.