The Rookie Hunt

Punctuation Key:

"Spoken dialogue"

'Quoting'

*Action*

Emphasis

Internal thoughts/talking to Ciel

[[Ciel talking]]

{{Thought Communication}}

I also have a discord server for discussion, questions, suggestions, or whatever. https://discord.gg/SVkTU2CQ2s

Rimuru POV

What the hell is this?

I think to myself while standing in the middle of the hallway. I'm currently surrounded by a barrier bubble to protect me, and three others, from the onslaught of demons hurling themselves at us. They are continuously slamming against my barrier like a bunch of rabid animals.

Unbeknownst to me, today is what's called the 'Rookie Hunt', an hour-long recruitment period for what they call 'battlers', which are just the demon equivalent of school clubs. The upperclassmen seek out first-year students in an extremely chaotic and aggressive way during this.

"What an impressive barrier! Are you sure you don't want me to take over protecting us? It can't be easy to maintain such an impressive feat of magic." Azz exclaims.

"Nah, I'm good. Keeping something like this up is easy for me. Remember how I kept one up around us during our duel? You got slammed against it so you should."

"Oh, yes! You're talking about the duel we had after the entrance ceremony, Ma-... I mean Rimuru." He says and I nod to him.

Azz almost called me 'Master' again, but he corrected himself. Recently, I told him to stop calling me that and it seems he's listened. I get called stuff like that enough back in Tempest and would rather have him address me casually. He still calls Iruma 'master' though since Iruma's too shy to ask him to stop at this point.

I look over at Clara, who's been uncharacteristically quiet the last couple of minutes, and find her licking my barrier for some reason. Ew.

"Hey Clara, can you not do that? It's gross..."

"But your magic is so tasty Riri!" she says before taking another lick.

[[How dare she...!]]

Ciel, I know how much you hate this girl but this isn't that big of a deal. It's gross but harmless.

Azz then attempts to pry the girl away, also finding her antics gross and annoying.

"Stop sullying Rimuru's beautiful barrier with your saliva you cretin!" He yells as he holds a flailing Clara in his arms. Eventually, she gives up and he releases her.

"Rimuru, why are these students acting so crazy?" Iruma asks sheepishly, scared by the demons aggressively assaulting my invisible wall of protection.

"Beats me. It's awful annoying though."

"Um, yeah. I'm not sure 'annoying' is the word I would use to describe this situation though..." a terrified Iruma adds. He's the most bothered by our current predicament out of the four of us.

"Would you like me to burn these hooligans to a crisp, Master Iruma?" Azz asks, holding a ball of fire in his hands and wearing an excited expression.

"No thanks, Azz. That's not necessary..."

"Heh, I think I have an idea for how to deal with them..." I say, grinning mischievously.

With a wave of my hand, I alter the properties of the barrier.