Tempest Christmas Tales [Holiday Special]

Author's Note: Hey, readers! This is my version of a holiday special, mostly written by a few of my "Plot Tots" (essentially my assistant writers on Discord). It doesn't take place at the same time that the rest of the story does, but instead 5 years prior. I hope you enjoy this extra chapter as a Christmas present to you all!

Rimuru POV

I've been waiting all day for this and now, it's dark out, the moon is high in the sky, and my 12 patrons have gathered in a remote clearing in the forest on a hill. A lot of setup has gone into this, despite what is planned to be a very simple activity.

Taking a seat between Diablo and Shion, I turn to Zegion who is seated between Benimaru and Geld, and give him the command he has been awaiting. "Alright, Zegion, do it."

Zegion gives me a silent nod and after a momentary pause speaks "It is done, Lord Rimuru."

I should explain. I had Zegion use his Ultimate Skill: Illusion King Mephisto, to create an illusory domain around us that makes it impossible to locate our gathering without an ultimate skill to counter the effects of Zegion's illusory domain; anyone without one who enters it will simply wander right back out from where they came, no matter how many times they try.

"I'm sure you all are wondering, what important matter it was that I told you required you all gather here for. Well, the truth is, it's not entirely important except to me personally."

I look towards my gathered subordinates' faces for any signs of discontent but, Diablo reassures me, "If a matter is important to you, it is important to us all." All the patrons nod to this statement affirming that what Diablo has said is something they can agree on.

"As I'm sure you all know, I wasn't originally from this world. As an otherworlder with my memories of my previous life in another world, there are things I used to do there that I enjoyed and wish to do here, that's why I have introduced many of them to Tempest. When I was stabbed in my previous life saving a friend and slowly dying of blood loss, my only thoughts were of the pain I was in and how I wish I had lived my life."

I hear something snap, which distracts me from my speech. Looking over to the source of the sound, Testarossa, Ultima and Carrera have scary expressions on their faces and the culprit behind the sound was an improvised baton. It's something that Ultima had been carrying around after seeing it in a manga held by law enforcers. But now, it's completely shattered, leaving nothing but pieces and splinters of it in Ultima's hands.

Are they angry at me? Did I say something they are unhappy with me for?

[[No hostility detected from them is directed at you.]]

So I'm not who they are mad at huh? That's a relief. Maybe they were upset by my death story being brought up.

The silence is broken by Diablo scolding Ultima for the disruptive sound.

"I understand your anger, however, do not disrupt Lord Rimuru while he is speaking again."

Ultima starts apologizing to me repeatedly and I had to reassure her that it was fine.

Clearing my throat, I continue where I left off before the disturbance.

"As I was saying, there are things I used to enjoy from my past life, but I cannot enjoy all of those things. As a Demon Lord, and as the ruler of a country, I can never be allowed to show any sign of weakness or be anything less than a ruler. It's hard to enjoy simple pleasures when you have to keep up appearances. It's for that reason I needed to make this sound like an important meeting and why I made sure to invite all of you, the 12 patrons. Rumors no doubt have gotten around about what this meeting is likely for, though none can come close to how simple it really is."