A Small Problem

Punctuation Key:

"Spoken dialogue"

'Quoting'

*Action*

Emphasis

Internal thoughts/talking to Ciel

[[Ciel talking]]

{{Thought Communication}}

I also have a discord server for discussion, questions, suggestions, or whatever. https://discord.gg/SVkTU2CQ2s

Iruma POV

With our first pop quiz graded, I'm in the Magical Apparatus Battler along with Azz, Clara, and Rimuru so that we can discuss grades and study plans. I'm not enthusiastic to share my results though because to say I did poorly is an understatement: I was utterly crushed.

Azz and Rimuru probably did amazingly, I hope they're not too harsh on me...

"How'd you do, Iruma?" Rimuru asks, but my dread must be plain as day as she quickly follows with "Actually, you don't need to answer that..."

"I'm sorry... I've never had the opportunity to properly study before, so I'm not very good at it..."

"I know, I know. But try your best, okay? Now let's see what your grades are..."

Rimuru takes my graded papers with an encouraging smile, that immediately turns into shock as she sees the grades.

Clara snatches the papers from the now-frozen Rimuru and reads them aloud. "5%, 0%, 2%, 3%, 6%!"

Everyone is now looking at me in stunned silence.

"I'm sorry!" I apologize, feeling terrible for letting down their hopes for me.

"Huh! No, no, I'm sorry! I had no idea our pop quizzes were giving you this much trouble," Azz quickly says.

"This is bad. Can you even read, Iruma-chi?" Clara asks accusingly.

"I can..."

Right, Grandpa's magic translates the demon language so that I can read it. But...

"Question: When you're in a battle using verbal magic and a taboo spell other than those assigned is used, what is the range of those powers?"

I don't understand anything it's saying!

"You're so hopeless, do you want Big Sis Clara to give you some lessons?"

"Hey, you can't just claim my spot in the family like that!" Rimuru protests.

"Then we're sisters too!"

"We're not!"

Meanwhile, Azz is looking through Clara and Rimuru's grades as well, apparently more concerned with all of our grades than his own.

"Valac, how are you supposed to teach him? Your grades are abysmal, a 15% average," Azz says, immediately deflating Clara's big sister energy.

15% is still far above my scores, I'm the dumbest person in the room...

Rimuru gives a proud chuckle. "See? I'm the one who should be teaching," she says, but she's quickly shot down by Azz.

"Actually, Rimuru, your grades... Well, on average they're much better than Clara's, but that's only because there are certain areas you excel at while you're worse than her in other subjects. Have you just been studying the things you find interesting and avoiding any other topics?"

Rimuru looks sheepish and stays quiet.

"I mean, look at this: You perfectly described the scope and efficiency of all of the spells we've been taught thus far, but you couldn't answer who the 'Lord of Seduction' is?" Azz sputters.