Trainin' Hell

Iruma POV

"That's it! I quit! I'm gonna go back and train with Professor Robin!" Lead shouts and throws his headband on the ground and stomps hard on it, grinding it into the dirt and grass.

"It hasn't been that bad, has it? I mean, this training isn't what I was expecting, but-"

"You call this training!? She's been working us to the bone, dressing us up as maids, and insulting us at every opportunity for a week!"

It's been a little tough, but it could be worse, right? Yeah, I've had five drinks thrown in my face, yeah I've been forced to wear a maid dress, and yeah I've mostly been doing daily chores for Bachiko during our training as well as carrying her around, but it's way easier than what Hinata put me through. I'm sure we'll get to the real training soon, and for all I know, this could be training too. Maybe Bachiko is just testing our determination or something.

"How are you so okay with this?! It's almost like you're used to it!"

"Well, kinda... not the dress though!"

Lead gives me a skeptical stare.

"This isn't how Rimuru treats you when nobody's around, right?"

"No! No, she's nice! She doesn't force me into dresses either!"

If anything, most of the time Rimuru is the one forced into dresses and stuff, not me.

"Well, good luck, I guess. When you get sick of that brat of a tutor too, feel free to join me."

"Uh, sure."

Lead walks off, leaving me alone with the laundry we were tasked with hand-washing by Bachiko.

I think Bachiko has some kind of plan, so waiting just a little longer is fine!

I continue working away, set on seeing this through.

"Hey." her voice appears behind me without warning

"Master Bachiko! I'm sorry, I'll get these done immediately!"

She told me to be done by the time she got back, but I haven't finished yet since Lead left!

"To be honest, I'm surprised. No one's lasted this long dealing with my orders before. That willpower you have when it comes to helping others out... your drive..."

It almost feels like she's complimenting me. Over the few days of training with her, I hadn't heard Bachiko sound so genuine before.

"...you're the biggest moron I've ever met!"

After dropping that bomb on me, Bachiko turns on her heel and walks away without saying anything further.

... 'Moron'? I'm a ...moron?

...

Bachiko's words hung in my mind for the rest of the day, playing over and over. I couldn't shove them out no matter how hard I tried.

I'm a moron for being helpful? I'm a moron for trying my hardest with Bachiko's training? Does my drive and willpower make me a moron?

I just couldn't let it go.

Am I missing something? Was I supposed to do something different? Is that why she called me a moron?

"Iruma, are you doing alright?" Grandpa asks me at the dinner table.

It's then that I notice that I stopped eating mid-bite and was just staring off into space, completely lost in my thoughts.

"Yeah, I'm just tired from school and my training."