A Legendary Score

Iruma POV

Word that the Legendary Leaf is present spreads in seconds, and an audience has gathered around professors Balam and Stolas who are looking it over with great curiosity.

The crowd sounds dubious, because the supposed Legendary Leaf looks incredibly goofy, like a big purple egg with horns and a cute face. Even I'm a little unsure of whether it's the real deal.

But the two professors are shivering with excitement at the discovery.

"It's just like in the books..."

"This stupid shape and annoying face..."

" "It's the Legendary Leaf!" " they both announce to enormous applause.

" "Yeah!" " myself and Lead cheer, joining in the celebration.

We did it! We really did it!

"How would you like to divide the points?" Professor Dali asks.

I look towards Nafra, but he shakes his head, apparently still rejecting a share of the points, despite all his help.

"Are you sure you don't want a third of the points? You helped find it, after all."

"Gyo!" Nafra shakes his head, giving me the same answer as before.

"Alright, suit yourself..." I feel a little bad about not sharing any of the points with him, but if that's what Nafra wants, that's okay.

"Then it's settled!" Professor Dali loudly announces, so everyone can hear. "Iruma and Lead, by acquiring the Legendary Leaf you have earned 50,000 points each!"

50,000 points! That's insane! I knew it would be that much, but it's still crazy that this one item is worth so much!

"And with that, the two of you are winners! – That's what I'd like to say, but 50,000 points hardly guarantees victory. You two really should have harvested some normal ingredients along the way."

It wasn't enough?

Just as I was feeling the rush of victory, Dali started announcing that someone managed to get more than 50,000 points.

"There was a mighty demoness who fought nonstop during the entire event, killing one boss monster after another and only turning in the most valuable parts of it before moving on to the next fight!"

That could only be Rimuru, right? No demoness in our year is that powerful and ruthless.

"She's a truly efficient combatant of staggering power, having put her all into seeking victory!"

I clench my fists in frustration. Rimuru already knows that no one can beat her, so why did she do this? Did her clones just go overboard?

"The winner is..."

Why, Rimuru? I worked so hard for this, I truly wanted to win...

"Eiko Oni, with 56,000 points!"

...Huh?!

Alerted by the cheering of a crowd quickly mobbing her, the girl I rescued just minutes ago sits up from her stretcher.

"Wha- What's everyone cheering me for? What happened?!"

"You won!" someone says, pointing out the scoreboard.

"W-w-w-w-WHAAAAAA?!"

Her eyes bug out as she looks at her score. Then, her lips quiver, and tears dot her eyes.

"Iruma, I'm so so sorry, I never meant for this to happen!" she cries out to no one in particular.

Is she upset that she beat me and Lead? Why?!