Code: S.L.I.M.E. (Prologue)

I felt, true. I existed at that point, and I was at least aware of that. It was very rudimentary. Basic chemical switches telling me what to do and where to go. So, after I felt the wet patch I formed out of, I rolled across its surface to get to the ground. It was odd, feeling stone. Especially because it was not round like the wet stuff was. It was square. I think it is because the bricks were made of limestone.

That didn't keep my attention all that long though, as there was a force compelling me nearby. Well, not nearby. It was all around me, yet still so far away. I needed to find it. It was the first thing I ever genuinely wanted.

So, I rolled across the ground and eventually it was like I was falling for just a moment before I got a new sensation. Like lots of little pokey things and round flat surfaces that bent as my weight was pressed into them. That was when I got my first skill.

{Notice: Acquiring intrinsic skill, Absorb and Dissolve.}

{Notice: Sentient entity recognized, cataloging race... Successful. Tempestian Slime. Acquiring all other intrinsic skills... Successful. Acquiring resistances... Successful.}

The first voice I ever heard, and it was the Voice of the World itself. Kinda interesting that such a thing exists, looking back on it. Still, my little slime brain could only really handle the information of the skills themselves and what they did.

After absorbing the pokey things on the ground, it wasn't long after I figured out what they are because of a new skill.

{Notice: Acquiring basic skill, Assess.}

[Absorbing bluegrass.]

It was incredibly basic, just telling me the name of whatever it was I was absorbing, along with a basic rundown of the amount of magic it gave me. That distracted me for a few moments, as I rolled around absorbing the bluegrass in a little circle.

After that, I got my attention back to the presence. What Assess was able to tell me made it a little bit easier to find it, because before I was only vaguely aware it was there. After I got the skill though, I could sense the general direction it was strongest from.

So, I rolled in that direction. That led me right back onto the rocky ground, the square rocky ground. Rolling straight toward the source of that presence.

*Bump*

I was stopped by something hard and smooth, much smoother than the rocky ground I'd been rolling across.

*Bump* *Bump* *Bump*

I didn't seem to be getting any closer to the presence, no matter how much I tried.

Rolling had gotten me closer up until that point, so my instinct told me that I simply needed to roll on the next surface too instead of rolling on the one I was already on. Upon my slimy form attempting to roll on the new ground, instead of the old ground, eventually, I started moving on it too.

Until I got to a certain point, and felt myself falling. It was longer this time though, and when I hit another new ground. What I found was that it was like pokey things, but they were thicker. I also couldn't absorb them, the magic in them was too much. It... hurt.

It hurt a lot, like a burning sensation throughout my entire body. I had to learn how to make my skill turn off. Otherwise, I am sure I would have died right there. I managed it though, and turned off Absorb and Dissolve.

Continuing toward the presence, I bumped into different things many times, but managed to still make slow progress. I was determined to get to it, I had no other motivation.

The presence was close, I could feel it.

*Bump*

One more obstacle in my way, but I felt it move when I made contact.