4| Cory's Alternative Friends

Zoey sat in class, watching as Emma and Sarah - two girls from her class presenting their presentation in front of the class.

"In conclusion some products use everyday cause algae to grow in lakes." Emma explained as she poured a liquid into a big glass cup.

"Cutting off oxygen and disrupting the ecosystem." Sarah added, putting a fish into the big glass cup.

"So, what we learn is that we must choose biodegradable products to help protect our environment." Emma said as Sarah pulled the fish out of the cup. When she did, the fish had turned into a skeleton..

"Excellent report." Mr. Feeny stated. "Inspires visuals. Next team."

Cory and Shawn got out their seats and approached the black board behind Mr. Feeny. Shawn pulls down a map from above.

"How air pollution effects our everyday life." Cory announced.

"Excellent topic." Mr. Feeny stated, as the boys pulled out their pointers in unison.

Shawn slammed his pointer onto the map. "Denver." He said as Mr. Feeny readjust the location of his pointer. "High atop the majestic Rocky Mountains, elevation five thousand feet."

Cory slammed his pointer at the top of the map. "Philadelphia." He said. Zoey chuckled as Mr. Feeny readjust his pointer to the right location. "Lying low in the Delaware basin. two hundred, fifty feet about sea level."

"Well researched." Mr. Feeny said, sounding impressed.

Shawn slammed his pointer on the map, on a different location. "Denver. Clean crisp mountain air."

"Philadelphia." Cory said, slamming his pointer on a different location as well. Zoey placed a hand over her mouth, trying not to laugh. "Polluted industrial smog."

"Mile High Stadium. Home of the Colorado Rockies." Shawn informed.

"Veterans Stadium. Home of the Philadelphia Phillies." Cory added.

"Oh, here we go." Mr. Feeny muttered.

Shawn then leans on Mr. Feeny's desk. "The Rockies, a bogus expansion team mind you... are averaging four more runs per game than anyone in the league... because of their clean air."

"Our theory is, if Philadelphia would clean up in smoggy air, the ball would slice through the atmosphere with a greater velocity." Cory explained.

"Therefore, the Philies would score more runs." Shawn added.

"And win in every home game. The end." Cory finished, him and Shawn placed their pointers away before turning to Mr. Feeny. "So, how'd you like our report?"

"Stinks." Mr. Feeny simply said.

"Stinks!" Cory shouted at Shawn. He looked down at Mr. Feeny. "How'd you like my half?"

"Relax, Mr. Matthews. I blame myself." Mr. Feeny said.

"You do?" Cory asked, surprised. "Cool."

Shawn and Cory high fived each other, before walking back to their desks.

"I let you choose your own partner. An astounding lapse of judgement for someone of my experience. I am going to let you try again but this time I'll choose the teams." Mr. Feeny said. "Mr. Hunter, you'll be working with Mr. Minkus."

Shawn and Minkus both slapped their forehead and shook their heads.

"Oh no." They said in unison.

"And Mr. Matthews...." Mr. Feeny trailed off.

"Yeah, I'll hook up with Mr. Sullivan." Cory said, gesturing next to him.

"No, no. That's worse." Mr. Feeny told him. "You'll work with Miss Lawrence."