156| The Wedding

Today was the big day.

Zoey sat in the bathroom of her mother's house which was covered in makeup brushes and dresses. She sat in a low pink chair as Topanga, Angela, Rachel started to do her makeup.

"What did I say about beauty sleep?" Topanga questioned as she masked, buffed and polished every surface on Zoey's body.

"Sorry. Wedding jitters." Zoey replied.

Angela walked up behind Zoey and started shaping her face with a feather light touch. "Weddings... you gotta love them."

Zoey inhaled a nervous breath as she watched Angela braided her hair to the back and placed them in a bun as strands of hair came down in front of her face while Topanga had finished her makeup.

"Zoey!" Lucy called out.

"In here, Mum!" Zoey responded.

Lucy rushed into the room before she saw her daughter's appearance.

"Oh, my god. You're so beautiful." Lucy said as happy tears painted the edge of her eyes.

"Mum!" Zoey exclaimed, embarrassingly.

"I thought you needed something blue." Lucy said as she held a black box. She opened the box to reveal a heavy silver hair comb. Light blue sapphires were clustered into the indicate floral shapes atop the teeth. "Something old. It was your great-aunt's."

Zoey's eyes widen at how beautiful the comb was. "It's beautiful. Wow, thank you."

"It's your first family heirloom." Lucy said as Angela placed the comb into the bun in Zoey's hair. "To pass on to your daughter and her daughter..."

Zoey smiled. "Mum, I love it. How is it down there?"

"Oh, hun... it's wonderful. Everyone is already here. Shawn's looking handsome in his tuxedo." Lucy explained, excitedly with a big grin.

Then all of a sudden, the girls turned at the sound of footsteps approaching. A strange man walked in, wearing a tuxedo. Zoey didn't know who the man was in front of her but from the furious look on her mother's face told her that something wasn't right.

"Leave right now." Lucy demanded.

The man shrugged his shoulders. "Why? Can't a father be apart of his only daughter's wedding?"

Zoey's mouth parted in shock. Her nerves took over. She was afraid. She had no expectations - trying to protect and keep herself ready for the worst. This day, she had the weight of the world on her shoulders.

Standing right in front of her was Zoey's father. He was tall. He was a bit of a light bright. He was handsome.

"No." Zoey declared softly. "You can't be. Not after all this time."

"Sweetheart...." The man began, taking a step forward but stopped when Lucy stood in front of him.

"Don't sweetheart her, Liam. Why are you here?" Lucy hissed.

"Well, I heard from a friend that my little princess was getting married and decided I should be there to support her." Liam explained.

"Leave." Zoey ordered, clenching her jaw tightly. "I can't believe that all these years you suddenly show up and pretend everything is fine. It's not. You decided to leave mum and I. You decided to continue being a drunk. You destroyed the best relationship you had with mum. You decided to take Blake away. You never called or wrote to me. You never supported me with anything. You didn't even show up to my own graduation. You are a terrible person."