45| Home

It had been three weeks since Shawn had been staying at the Matthews, and had been telling Zoey that he was slowly hating staying over there. Zoey had offered Shawn if he wanted to stay over at her place, but he kindly rejected the offer.

At school, Zoey slugged her bag over her shoulder as she walked through the halls. She stopped when she saw Shawn drinking at the fountain, wearing a bright, ripped yellow shirt. Not the color Shawn would ever wear.

"Shawn, what are you wearing?" Zoey asked, walking up to him.

"It's a shirt Mrs. Matthews gave me." Shawn replied.

Zoey looked at the item of clothing. "It's really.... yellow."

"Shawn, is that the new shirt my mum gave you?" Cory questioned as he approached his friends. Zoey noticed that he was wearing the same yellow jumper Shawn had on.

"Yeah." Shawn answered. "Looks all right now, huh?"

"Do you know what she's gonna do when she sees that?" Cory asked.

"My guess is - clean it, sew it back together, and put an 'S' on it." Shawn sassed.

Zoey stood in the middle of her friends, she wanted to say something about the way Shawn was speaking, but she didn't want to get caught up in between her two best friends.

"Look, she's trying to be nice to you." Cory told him.

"And I'm just trying to get through this thing without making any waves." Shawn replied, grabbing onto Zoey's hand and walked with her through the halls.

"You know, you can tell me anything, right?" Zoey said.

"What do you mean, Zo?" Shawn asked, stopping in his track and looked down at her.

"Shawn, I know when something is bothering you." Zoey told him. "Please, tell me what's on your mind."

"Do you think we should do this?" Shawn wondered, squeezing Zoey's hand.

Zoey furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "We should do what?"

"Us." Shawn answered. Zoey's mouth parted in shock as she felt the soft panic that grew inside her stomach. Her heart pounded against her rib-cage. "What do you say, Zo?"

"You... You want to be with me?" Zoey asked, stammering over her words slightly.

"Yeah." Shawn replied with a smile. "I've started liking you since you were with Leo, and I just couldn't take it anymore. So... would you be my girlfriend?"

Without hesitation, Zoey nodded. "Yeah."

Shawn leaned forward and kissed her. The world feel away. It was slow and soft, comforting in ways that words would never be. His hands rested below her ear, his thumb caressing her cheeks as their breathes mingled. Zoey ran her fingers down his spine, pulling him closer until there was no space left between them and she could feel the beating of his heart against her chest.

••••

Next morning, Zoey decided to go over to the Matthews place before heading to school. She walked around the backyard and knocked on the back door a couple times. After a second, Mrs. Matthews opened the door with a warm smile.

"Hey, Zoey. You're up early, aren't you?" Mrs. Matthews wondered.

"Yeah." Zoey replied with a nod. "Mum's working early at the café this morning."

"All right, you can have breakfast here." Mrs. Matthews offered, letting Zoey inside the kitchen. "Shawn and Cory will be down in a few minutes."

Zoey couldn't help but grin every time she heard Shawn's name. She couldn't believe that her and Shawn were now a couple. She's so happy that the guy she liked for ages was now her boyfriend.