128| Road Trip

Zoey was squished in-between Cory and Shawn of the truck. She didn't mind the journey so far, she was just thrilled for the adventure ahead of her.

"Alright. Tank full of gas, the open road, and no destination." Shawn said as he focused on the highway ahead.

"Let the road be your guide." Cory agreed. "Where are we going, Shawn?"

"Man, this trip is exactly what I needed to talk my mind off everything." Shawn said, ignoring the question.

"I'm sorry about your dad dying." Cory said.

Zoey elbowed Cory in the side. "Not helping, Cor."

"Shawn, why are we really on this trip?" Cory wondered.

"I'll tell you later." Shawn replied.

"When?" Cory asked.

"When the time is right." Shawn answered.

"Well, will you at least tell me when we get to wherever it is we don't know where we're going?" Cory wondered.

"Yes." Shawn replied with a faint smile.

Zoey pursed her lips as she drummed her fingers on her leg as she sat between her friends. Cory was fine, she didn't mind him. On Shawn's side, though, she could feel the warmth of his leg pressing against hers and felt him shift every time he adjusted his grip on the steering wheel.

Then Zoey turned her attention to Cory who placed on a bandana to match his best friend.

"What?" Cory asked, noticing Shawn and Zoey's look.

"Well, it's just, you know...." Shawn trailed off.

"No. What? Tell me." Cory insisted.

Shawn shrugged his shoulders. "Well, if one guy's wearing a bandana, it's cool. If two guys are it's...

"Ah, say no more. The 'one bandanna rule' has been enforced." Cory said, taking off the bandanna. "I'll just save mine for another time."

Zoey rolled her eyes. "Idiots."

••••

Shawn, Zoey and Cory decided to stop for lunch at a diner that was on the side of the road. When the three of them walked inside, Cory wore his best friends bandanna.

"This is a real truck stop." Cory said in excitement.

"We have a real truck." Shawn agreed.

"And we stopped here. You know what? I think I'm gonna get Topanga a hat." Cory insisted.

Zoey nodded. "Yeah, she'd like one."

"I'll get her a hat them." Cory said as they sat at the counter in a replica of their usual position. A blonde waitress came over to them. "How you doing, Amy Sue?"

Amy smiled. "I haven't seen you here before."

"What do you think?" He questioned.

"I think you're cute. What can I get for ya?" She wondered.

Zoey grabbed the menu off the counter with Shawn and Cory looking over her shoulder, studying the menu.

"World's best hash browns." Cory answered.

"Good choice." Amy commented. "How about you two?"

"His daddy died." Cory informed which earned him an elbow in his side. He glared at Zoey. 'Would you stop that?"

"I will when you stop talking about it everywhere." Zoey sneered, giving him a pointed look.

"You should try the chicken fried steak." One of the diners who sat across from them suggested.