72| Shallow Boy

Zoey was currently sitting in her seat in Mr. Feeny's history class. She leaned back in her seat while Mr. Feeny was informing everyone about the presidential election.

"And as this will be the last Presidential election in which you do not cast a ballot, I want this classroom to be an open forum to discuss the issues which most concern our lives." Mr. Feeny told the class as he walked around the classroom before eventually stopping in front of Shawn's desk. "Mr. Hunter, what issue most concerns your life?"

"The issue that Zoey and I would break up." Shawn simply answered. "How am I doin'?"

"Boffo, Mr. Hunter." Mr. Feeny agreed. "Mr. Matthews?"

"Yeah. Actually, there is a pressing social matter which I feel equipped to discuss with confidence and alacrity." Cory said.

"Oh, well, then you have the floor, Mr. Matthews." Mr. Feeny insisted, very surprised.

Cory shook his head. "Nah, that used me up."

"Save us, Miss Francis." Mr. Feeny begged.

"I think the biggest crisis facing this country is the breakdown of the American family." Zoey announced.

Shawn huffed. "Oh, you always gotta go for Shawn."

Zoey took a deep breath before she chose to ignore Shawn and continue. "Well, I just think that lots of other issues, like crime and the decline in education.."

"Hey, hey, lay off me." Shawn cut her off pointedly.

"All have to do on how we're brought up in our homes." Zoey finished.

Mr. Feeny nodded at the interesting point. "Well, now, I agree with you, Miss Francis."

"That's it." Shawn snapped and stood up. He started stomping towards the door.

"Mr. Hunter!" Mr. Feeny called sternly. Shawn paused at the door, and simply pointed to the clock just as the bell rang. "Oh, that's it."

Everyone else began to pack their things and walk out of the classroom.

••••

Babysitting can be a lot of fun. It's not like going to a party or anything but you get to play games, go on field trips, bake, do arts and crafts, sports, and even watch a bit of TV. The thing is that you do have to clean up after these messes. There will be meltdowns and behavioural issues at times. Zoey knew how it all worked.

She had to babysitter her young cousin, Billy who was four his old. Aunt Tara was Lucy's younger sister by two years and was close to the family. Her and her family were moving out next year to go live in Australia.

"Now, Zoey, Billy's bedtime is...." Aunt Tara trailed off.

"9 o'clock sharp." Zoey replied.

Aunt Tara nodded. "And the emergency numbers are...."

"Posted next to the telephone." Zoey answered.

"And...." Aunt Tara trailed off once more.

"No boys." Zoey quickly responded.

Aunt Tara raised her eyebrows. "And...."

"No boys at all." Zoey assured her aunt.

Zoey then opened the front door to reveal Shawn on the other side. He was leaning against the doorframe with a smirk. He had decided that he would join Zoey babysitting her cousin.... it would just be him, his girlfriend, in a house alone, no interruptions, alone on a couch.

Shawn's eyes widened when he saw Zoey's aunt and quickly picked up the water jug on the doorstep. "Water guy."

"Don't worry, he's not staying. I know your rules - no boys." Zoey told her aunt before turning to Shawn and hissed. "What are you doing here?"