62| The Pink Flamingo Kid

Zoey ate some popcorn as her and Shawn laid on the couch and were watching a movie in Mr. Turner's apartment.

Zoey laid her head against Shawn's chest. Her left arm was draped across his stomach while his arm was wrapped around her waist, pulling her into his side. They laid together under the blanket.

Then the phone started to ring. Shawn sighed and pressed a kiss against his girlfriend head before he got up from the couch and made his way over to the phone, picking it up. It was Chet Hunter. Shawn walked up the stairs so he could talk to his father privately.

Then all of a sudden repetitive knocking was heard on the other side of the front door. Mr. Turner sighed and made his way over to the door.

Mr. Turner opened the door. "Matthews, what's with the camera?"

"Well, Mr. Williams says a good newsman's always gotta have his camera ready. You don't mind if I keep on shooting, do you?" Cory asked.

"No, go ahead." Mr. Turner replied.

"All right!" Cory exclaimed excitedly before Mr. Turner slammed the door shut. "Hey!"

"Turn that thing off, I'll let you back in." Mr. Turner said.

"Oh, come on, what are you hiding?" Cory wondered.

Mr. Turner opened the door again. "My disdain for you."

Cory walked into the apartment and greeted Zoey before he saw Shawn walking downstairs with the phone up to his ear.

"Shawn, Shawn." Cory called.

"On the phone, Cor." Shawn told him. "So, Dad, how are you gonna celebrate your birthday?... Oh, that's great." He lowered the phone. "He's going to the dog track with President Clinton." He raised the phone back to his ear. "So, are you coming home soon?... Yeah. Yeah, I understand. Oh, well, I really miss you..."

"Where's Shawn's dad calling from?" Cory asked.

"He said aboard Air Force One, but I kinda have my doubts. I heard people yelling in Spanish." Mr. Turner replied.

"Well, I'm glad to hear you're doing so well..." Shawn continued talking to his dad. "What? Oh, you gotta go? Oh, the president needs the phone." He turned to the others. "Yeltsin's on call waiting." He turned back to the phone. "Okay, well, I can't wait to... Hello? Hello?"

Shawn placed the phone down and sat down next to Zoey and threw his head onto her shoulder. She carded her fingers through his hair comfortingly as he played with her fingers absentmindedly.

"It's alright, Shawnie." Zoey assured softly.

Shawn frowned. "Didn't even get a chance to sing him Happy Birthday."

"You miss him, huh?" Zoey asked softly.

"Oh, family's really important to the Hunters. You know, my dad always said, 'Where there's family, there's a place to hide'." Shawn said.

"Did he say when he's coming back?" Cory questioned.

"No." Shawn replied, shaking his head slightly. "But he did say he can't wait to see me. I bet it'd make him really happy to see how well I'm doing."

"Hey, well, he can." Mr. Turner told him.

"What do you mean?" Shawn asked.

"Well, Matthews has his video camera. You could put yourself on tape." Mr. Turner suggested.

Cory nodded in agreement. "Yeah, Shawn, you know, we could go down to your old trailer park and get all your relatives on tap. I'll shoot it."

"It would be great." Zoey said with a smile.