49| He said, She said

At school, Zoey was currently drawing on a random piece of paper in Mr. Turner's classroom, while Cory pulled out a papaya out of his bag and began to play with it. Mr. Feeny then walked inside the classroom and glanced at Cory,

"Mr. Matthews, where did you get that papaya?" Mr. Feeny questioned.

"From home. Is there a problem?" Cory wondered.

"I've got my eye on you." Mr. Feeny told him.

Cory turned to Zoey with a confused expression. "I'm confused."

"Seniors are sending him gifts baskets with foods and such." Zoey simply explained.

"Oh." Cory said with a small nod.

"Hey, George, what's up?" Mr. Turner greeted, approaching the principle.

"Well, I just wanted to be sure you knew that the Hunter boy missed his history test this morning." Mr. Feeny informed.

"He what?" Mr. Turner questioned in shock.

"Oh, that's my fault, my fault." Zoey began as she stood up from her seat and approached the teachers. "I was supposed to tell you that Shawn had a severe case of, uh.... " She looked at Mr. Feeny. "Help me out here."

"Sloth?" He suggested.

Zoey nodded. "Yes. Hong Kong sloth."

"That's it." Mr. Turner said and walked out of the classroom.

"Not your best work, Miss Francis." Mr. Feeny told her. The brunette couldn't help but agree.

••••

The next day at school, Shawn was finally there. Zoey and Cory currently sat on the bench beside the small flight of stairs, while Shawn stood beside them with a confused expression when Zoey told him the excuse she had made up.

"Hong Kong sloth?" Shawn questioned his girlfriend.

"Well, Feeny came up with the 'sloth'. but I added the 'Hong Kong' part." Zoey explained.

"Turner didn't even wanna talk about it." Shawn said, leaning against the wall. "He's all, 'Hunter, tomorrow you're seeing the new guidance counselor.' I tell you one thing, though. Shawn Hunter is not gonna waste an hour of his life listening to some baldheaded, long-winded, leisure-suit-wearing know-it-all."

Zoey narrowed her eyes when a young woman walked up beside Shawn and pointed at the door beside Cory and Zoey.

"Oh, my name's on the door! They didn't have to do that!" The woman exclaimed, walking up to the door.

"You're the new guidance counselor?" Zoey wondered, standing up beside Shawn.

"Hi, I'm Devon Collins." She introduced herself.

Zoey leaned towards Shawn. "Be nice."

Shawn reluctantly shook Devon's hand. "Hi. Shawn Hunter. Guide me."

"His had a lot of coffee today. Sorry, I just need him for one minute." Zoey told Devon before pulling Shawn aside. "Please don't hit on the guidance counselor, okay?"

"I won't. I promise." Shawn said with a small smile.

"You better." Zoey said.

Shawn leaned down and pressed a kiss against Zoey's lips before he went inside the guidance counselor room.

••••

After class, Zoey slugged her bag strap over her shoulder as she walked through the halls. When she walked around the corner, she saw Cory talking to a couple of his friends about Harley Keiner as he walked out of Mr. Turner's class.