82| Chick Like Me

At school, Zoey was wearing a green sweater, denim jean and light brown boots. She was currently walking through the school halls with Topanga, talking to Debbie, one of their classmates who had recently been on a date with Gary.

"Gary took you to Le Chardonnay?" Zoey asked Debbie as the three of them walked down the stairs. "That's really expensive."

"Yeah, I know." Debbie responded. Topanga and Zoey stopped by their lockers. "It was really great. We were talking and laughing and having such a great time, and then..."

"At the end of the night...." Zoey trailed off.

"Parked two blocks from my house...." Debbie added.

"Octopus time." Topanga finished.

Gary then approached Debbie with a smile. "Hey. Had a nice night the other night."

Zoey rolled her eyes as he walked away.

"All over me." Debbie told them. "I mean, what happened to the nice guy I had dinner with? It's like, the night's almost over, so he's all over me? Why are guys such jerks on dates?"

Zoey glanced over her shoulder to see Shawn and Cory listening in on their conversation.

"Well, not all guys." Topanga defended.

"After a night of fighting them off, it's like... I don't know whether I wanna go out on dates anymore. I rather spend my time at the library. It's that pathetic." Debbie admitted.

"It's too bad guys and girls have such different ideas about what a date is supposed to be." Topanga replied.

"Yeah. What goes on in their heads?" Debbie wondered.

"There's two over there." Zoey said, gesturing to the eavesdropping boys.

"Hey, what goes on in your heads?" Debbie asked them bluntly.

"Topanga." Cory answered instantly. "24 hours day, it's the Topanga channel in here."

"Aw, who's a good boy?" Topanga praised as she fed him a piece of candy.

"It's been the Zoey Show in here since we met." Shawn replied, pointing to his head proudly.

Zoey smiled and leaned up to kiss him sweetly. "I love you."

Shawn wrapped an arm around her and turned to Debbie. "Debbie, don't you think that guys and girls are looking for the same things on dates?"

"Well, girls are looking for an evening of good conversation and, you know, the sense that you've made a genuine connection with another human being." Debbie answered without hesitation.

"You're not interested in making out?" Shawn asked. He looked down at his girlfriend in shock. "But we do that all the time. You don't like that?"

"I love that." Zoey assured and pressed a lovingly kiss against his lips.

"Well, maybe I am and maybe I'm not, but it shouldn't be expected because I went on a date with you." Debbie snapped defensively.

"So, how are we supposed to know what's okay?" Shawn wondered.

"We'll let you know." Debbie answered simply.

"You don't let us know very clearly." Shawn grumbled.

"Yeah, we do. You just don't listen. You're too busy planning your next move to hear us say no." Debbie responded.

Shawn had been too busy thinking about his relationship and ended up proving her right. "What?"

"You see, this is why I write my funny column." Cory said, trying to break the tension. "To take us away from the drudgery of interesting conversation."