8| Teacher's Bet

During school lunch, Zoey was in the cafeteria, sitting on one of the lunch tables beside Cory. Minkus decided to join them and stood beside the two of them.

"Hey, Cory." Shawn called as he walked into the cafeteria, holding a newspaper. "Brought you a great article on Barry Bonds."

Shawn handed Cory the newspaper, whilst he sat down beside Zoey.

"Ah, the $43-million man." Cory said, fascinated as he opened the newspaper and began to read it.

"Why do they call him that?" Minkus wondered.

Zoey raised her eyebrows at the nerd. "Why do you think, Minkus?"

"Because that's what he's getting paid to play baseball for six years." Shawn explained.

"$7.16 million a year?" Minkus questioned, surprised.

"If that's what it comes out to, yeah." Shawn responded with a small nod.

"He happens to be one of the top guys in baseball." Cory said.

"Well, I happen to think Mr. Feeny is one of the top guys in teaching and he makes about 40,000 a year." Minkus told the three of them.

"That stinks." Shawn commented.

"Finally, something we agree on." Minkus said.

Cory and Zoey nodded. "Yeah."

"Feeny ain't worth that kind of money." Shawn stated

"You thought I meant he was overpaid?" Minkus questioned. "I meant that Mr. Feeny is grossly and tragically underpaid."

"Minkus - May I call you Minkus? Does spelling ever change? No. Does History ever change? Uh-uh. Does Feeny ever change? Never. Know why? He doesn't have to. Know why? Cause nothing about teaching sixth grade ever changes." Cory explained to Minkus, confidently.

Minkus crossed his arms over his stomach. "Well, I think you're wrong."

"Well, I think I'm right." Cory stated. "I think in about five seconds, Feeny walks in here takes a sip from the drinking fountain flicks his mustache, goes to the coffee machine... sees me, and says, 'Good morning, Mr. Matthews. I trust you've done the homework'. Everyday the same thing. He's so predictable."

Five seconds later, Mr. Feeny walks into the cafeteria. Zoey watched as he approached the drinking fountain, and took a sip. Once he was done, he flicked his mustache before making his way to the coffee machine.

"Good morning, Mr. Matthews." Mr. Feeny greeted. "I trust you've done the homework."

"Yes, I did, sir." Cory said.

"But my little sister ate it." Both Mr. Feeny and Cory said in unison. Zoey snickered slightly.

"You are so predictable." Mr. Feeny told Cory.

••••

Back in Mr. Feeny's class, Zoey sat at her desk,. She let out a soft sigh as she listen to Mr. Feeny, while he was erasing the black board.

"This week in social studies... we'll be talking about prejudice." Mr. Feeny informed the class.

"Good, cause I'm prejudiced against the scungy food in the cafeteria." Cory spoke.

Everyone in the class laughed. Shawn outstretched his arm towards Cory, who gave him a high five. Zoey softly chuckled at the joke.

"We'll be discussing black slavery in the America South... the Jews in Nazi Germany and several examples of prejudice throughout history." Mr. Feeny informed as he handed the class books. "Tonight your assignment is to read the first thirty pages of that book."