84| A Long Walk To Pittsburgh: Part 2

It had been almost a week since Zoey left for Pittsburgh and Shawn was feeling the loss of his girlfriend.

He missed Zoey when something really good happens, because she was the one he wanted to share it with. He missed her when something is troubling him, because she was the only one who understands him so well. He missed her when he laughed and cry, because he knew that she was the one who makes his laughter grow and his tears disappear.

He missed her all the time, but he missed her the most when he lies awake at night and think of all the wonderful times they spent with each other for those were some of the best memorable times of his life.

There was not a day that goes by with out Zoey in Shawn's mind. There's not a day that goes by with out him missing her by his side, there's not a day that goes by with out him knowing how lucky he was, there's not a day that goes with out a smile on his face....

It was pouring down rain and wouldn't stop.

Shawn left his bedroom and walked to the kitchen. Virna and Chet both sat on the couch, frowning as they watched their son be so upset.

"Shawnie, I know this is tough on you, son, but you can't go avoiding life." Chet said. Shawn didn't respond as he grabbed a snack and sat down on a chair. "Listen, I was thinking. Why don't we just drive down to Pittsburgh this weekend, huh? I need to see some suppliers, and you can spend time with Zoey."

"I don't think that's the best idea, Chet." Virna stated.

Shawn rolled his eyes. "Mum, you know what? I know how you feel, okay? You've made it real clear how you feel."

"My feelings are for you. I don't want you to be in pain." Virna responded.

"No. You just don't want me and Zoey to be together." Shawn told her in annoyance.

"I don't want you to be sick over Zoey." Virna corrected. "Shawn, she isn't here anymore. And to tell you the truth, I think this presents you with a good opportunity to get to know other girls."

"Mum, I don't want to know other girls, okay?" Shawn argued, standing up from his seat.

Virna huffed. "I don't think that's healthy."

"Zoey and I would've been together for the rest of our lives." Shawn said confidently.

"No, you wouldn't have been." Virna said, standing up and stared at her son. "You both have to get to know other people to make a choice like that. I had relationships with four other men before I met your father."

Chet furrowed his eyebrows. "I know three."

"Well, you know what, mum, I'm sure you'll be real happy to know that I'm not going to go to Pittsburgh, okay?" Shawn decided.

"Why not? You and Zoey have a fight?" Chet asked.

"No. No fight. I just realized that I'm the one making all the phone calls. I'm the one writing all the letters, but I will not be the one who travels three-hundred miles to be rejected and look like a fool." Shawn explained to his parents. "So if life doesn't want me and Zoey together, then you can't fight life, can't you?"

Shawn grabbed a raincoat and marched over to the door. He grabbed the doorknob and pulled it open. Zoey's face comes from the shadows, smiling widely as she stood on the other side of the door, completely soaked from the rain.

Seconds passed, Shawn's brain taking her in, struggling to comprehend that she isn't one of the pictures he kept beside his bed, that she was real and was standing in front of him.

Zoey smiled. "Shawn."

"Zoey!" Shawn gasped in surprised.

Zoey wrapped her hands around Shawn's neck and pulled him down to her height, kissing him lovingly. Shawn kissed forcefully, his eyes long closed and his hands gripping her as if he was afraid she wasn't really standing in front of right now. Eventually, the two teenagers had to pull away for air, but when they did they didn't stray from each other.