81| Wheels

At Chubbies, Zoey sat next to Shawn in a booth. Topanga and Cory sat across from them as Cory talked excitedly about his birthday.

"So tomorrow's the big day, huh?" Topanga asked, grinning excitedly at her boyfriend.

"Yep. Tomorrow morning, Cory Matthews turns 16 and mobile!" Cory exclaimed proudly.

"And I have worked out all the details for our big birthday road trip." Shawn bragged.

"And I redid the whole thing after he was done so we don't end up in Mexico." Zoey added with a smirk. She turned to Cory. "You can get your father's car tomorrow night, right?"

Cory nodded. "Well, naturally. I'm 16, it's my right. He's probably filling up the tank for me right now."

"This is a life landmark." Shawn stated dramatically. "This is the first Cory drives road trip. The point is, we are merely guests of the car, the wind, and destiny."

"No, no. The point is, a license says we are adults with cars who can see R-rated movies." Cory corrected him.

Topanga shook her head. "I'm not going with you guys to some R-rated movie."

"Van Damme takes his shirt off." Zoey told her best friend.

"A-oo-ga." Topanga replied.

"And that is only the beginning. The best part is, we are seeing it in Atlantic City." Cory announced.

Zoey frowned. "Why would we go to Atlantic City when we can see it right here?"

"Because we can!" Shawn exclaimed, slamming his fist on the table.

"Because we can go anywhere." Cory added, slamming his fist on the table. "Because tomorrow I got wheels. I am free and independent. Tomorrow I am a man!"

The waitress walked over to then. "Who gets a clown burger?"

The clown burger was a favorite for the kids since it came topped with a mini party hat.

Cory's hand shot up before he smiled sheepishly, seeing the contradiction to his previous words.

"I collect the little hats." Cory defended, plucking the hat off the burger.

••••

Cory's birthday arrived quickly. Topanga, Shawn, and Zoey tagged along to support him as he got his license. When they returned, Cory's parents were in the kitchen and he couldn't wait to share the good news with them.

"Hey. I passed my driver's test. I got my license!" Cory announced proudly. "Well, my temp license anyway. See?"

"Honey, that's great." Mrs. Matthew's replied. "Alan, isn't that great?"

"Yeah, that's-that's great, Cor. Uh, happy birthday. Yeah, that's really great." Mr. Matthews said, his tone implying the complete opposite. He patted Cory on the shoulder before he left the room.

"Uh, mum? Is it just more or where they happier for me down t the DMV?" Cory asked.

"Of, actually, Cory, your dad's a little let down. He kind of thought you might want to do this with him." Mrs. Matthews explained.

"He did?" Cory asked, surprised. Mrs. Matthews nodded. "Yeah, but he never said anything. We didn't have anything planned."

"But, I went with my dad." Shawn spoke. Zoey walked over to where he was sitting on the arm chair and patted the top of his head.

"Just go talk to him, Cor. It's a simply misunderstanding." Zoey insisted.

Cory nodded and disappeared into the kitchen.